Anatolian Shepard problems

LaughterFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello, my Anatolian Shepard is 1 year old and she is killing all of my Chickens! I am having to keep her and them pinned up, but she still winds up with one any chance she gets. What can I do to make peace between them?

LaughterFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No she was bot for the poultry, my husband just wanted her. The chickens are in a pin in the backyard. And she stays in the backyard too. She is too big and playful to be around the kids.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
She needs trained to poultry, typically Livestock Guardians are used for goats/sheep - they can be trained for poultry but you must work daily with her.
Anatolians need a real job, also because this is a family environment you ABSOLUTELY need to do some basic obedience.
There is no reason whatsoever that you should not be training her for family and children.

Sounds to me she is bored as well. These dogs are LGD's and are utilized in pairs...
Because she is a single what kind of outlet does she have if no partner and she has no "family" to play with?
How long have you had the dog?

LaughterFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She was brought home at 6 weeks. I was able to let her do her own thing until she came to size, now she is too big, and bouncy for my kids (oldest is six). What resource would you recomend for training her. I have never had to train a dog, except to keep it on my property.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Training starts by 8 weeks.
Basic obedience would be a good start.
Not being mean- but really? You just let her "do her own thing" all this time? :th
You should find a class nearby and take her to obedience.

The breeder who sold you this dog should be ashamed!
No pup should leave before 8 weeks minimum and this breed 12 weeks. And the breeder should have given you lots of training advice.

LaughterFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No he did not tell us anything, but I am sure I can find a trainer, because i know nothing about it. Before her we had hunting dogs. I also had a black lab., so she is all new to me. She comes and sits down when I tell her to. And she roams our property and the cattle farm next door.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Normally I would not say go to an obedience trainer but because no work has been done she needs you with a real trainer to help in basic obedience so your kids can be around her.
This isn't a matter of making an obedience dog out of her, just getting her basic manners.

As far as the poultry, on lead, and daily interaction. I don't think you will have much success if she has no basic skills at this point.
You should not be locking her up or you will create a whole new set of issues.

What state are you in?

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
This behavior is not typical of an Anatolian. We have one that is just over 6 months old but still large. She's being trained for our goats. I have three children under 6 (the youngest have medical issues and physical limitations.) Our Anatolian is wonderful with them and is aware, careful, and protective of them. I'd never question them being around her. Please listen to Southern so that your dog has a chance at a happy life with your family. We have other large dogs that she romps with to expel her energy in an appropriate manner.