Anemic doe

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If follow through on dewormers didn't happen , or certain dewormers aren't working then parasites are still multiplying. If the goat is suffering immune issues then parasites will multiply. Weather doesn't stop intestinal parasites.

We started with B- complex, gave A,D, & E (I think) , also gave copper I think we even gave BOSE.... she was not parasitic either. We then gave cobalt sulfate. When we started the red cell it was really out of desperation. She was very anemic, and literally would NOT eat- only grass. No hay, no feed, nothing. Grass. But it was very rainy and the grass was more water than nutrient filled. She didn't even want leaves, brush.

Our vet was shocked to see her recovery. We were too.
I'm going by what our friend in the goat club Heather said (PhD)
Intestinal parasites hibernate when its cold

RoahT

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hope she gets better soon! I'm glad to hear you have a good vet to help you!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
PhD... :idunno OK... in what? :hu just curious. If veterinary, I would have expected DVm vice PhD... Never heard of an internal parasite hibernating when it's internal... hence at normal operating temperature. :idunno

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm going by what our friend in the goat club Heather said (PhD)
Intestinal parasites hibernate when its cold

I haven’t seen that either.
If it’s inside the goat I would think it doesn’t really matter. OFA do you have a link to support that? I’m not really understanding.

So when it’s cold outside, but the internal temp of the goat is 101-103 degrees the parasites hibernate inside the goat? I know many who have lost goats to parasites, in the bitter cold, up north.

Now, the parasites that are already expelled from the goat, those will go dormant.

But if the doe is anemic from parasites that would lead me to believe they are not dormant.
I think another fecal would be wise to at least rule parasites out.

Last edited:

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Check her fecal again. Deworm if needed (probably so) and check fecal again in 10 days to see reduction %. What dewormer are you using? Are you giving several doses to break the parasite lifecycle?

barberpole and liver flukes look very similar under the scope, you might want to ask your vet about treating her for LF as a precaution.

Will the doe eat any more feed? 2.5 cups for a standard breed is not going to do much at all. Especially when they are already compromised.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She will eat more then 2 and a half cups. She would eat all I give her. Today she walked more and followed me and her eyes looked a little brighter. Cautiously optimistic.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
PhD... :idunno OK... in what? :hu just curious. If veterinary, I would have expected DVm vice PhD... Never heard of an internal parasite hibernating when it's internal... hence at normal operating temperature. :idunno

Her PhD is in Animal Science from NC State Univeristy
She is currently a professor in Animal.Science at another university
And she owns a large herd of Boer goats
Her specialty was pasture and parasite management
She helped run the goat unit at the research farm
She worked under a widely regarded expert in the subject actually
It seems perfectly logical to me
The internal temp of the host is irrelevant

Every other animal in the entire animal kingdom reproduces when their off spring has the best chance of survival

I'm a little surprised at the reaction to my comment
@Latestarter what are your current EPG counts on your goats?
Listen
I might debate the dynamic.duo.about goats
But not you

Last edited:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never run a fecal in a goat in the winter
And I've never lost a goat to worms in the winter
Actually I've never lost a goat to worms in the summer either
If you are losing goats to worms in the winter time you need to get out of the goat business

Last edited:

Latest posts