Herd Master
Reaction score
And just because

2 people say something is doesn't mean Its true

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok first let me say yes, a researcher with a PhD is certainly more qualified than a layman.
There is a bit of a disconnect here though. Which I will get to.

I do appreciate your post because I did go back to my veterinarian parasitology book and I am wrong. Which is GOOD! Why because it this is what this forum is for.
Education and helping one another. My response is based on working with different vets that see this subject a bit different. I am also not too proud to admit an error.
I have all my parasitology books but haven't really read or relied on them in so many years- I didn't even know this was there.

In the animal sciences there are Veterinarians, researches, and layman. Since we are talking about goats/sheep here I will restrict this to the first two.
Veterinarians and researchers do not always see eye to eye. I lean toward the researches more often then the vet side... the biggest issue is vets work in the field with seeing all the issues and the two don't always agree. Research is also ever evolving and old ways replaced with new info etc.. on and on it goes. This is not new, but rather old info.

Now attached are pages discussing this... I would however like to comment on what I see as a problem within the subject.
If it has to do with viability... how can it be said that in winter parasites go dormant and no need to deworm..
Do all parasites go dormant?
If an EPG is high in winter still don't deworm?
What about regions such as the SE where it was 70 degrees 2 weeks ago and will get back into the 50's possibly 60 soon.
What about Florida?
Winter is winter.

I am not contending the data or info but application of use of that data.
Is it responsible to say no one needs to deworm in the winter?

I have seen over the years on others farms where the vet said it is January, not the season for coccidia... yet a goat kid had diarrhea and blood. Fortunately that person felt the vet was wrong and took the fecal to Rollins lab. Loaded. Goat was treated by another vet from there on out. Another goat vet said goat is fine goat is fine... goat died- necropsy showed Barberpole.
When a goat is sick & anemic the simplest way to determine if there is a strong load is a fecal. The goat is ill. If they are in a dormant phase the results my not be great.
A poster here on BYH lost half their herd to Liver flukes- in the winter in a very cold region.

Personally I am not into deworming anything without an EPG. And if I had a sick goat that was thin and anemic, winter or not, I'd run a fecal second to taking the temp. Basic husbandry.
Continuing with my vet's advice and care protocol.

I've never run a fecal in a goat in the winter
And I've never lost a goat to worms in the winter
Actually I've never lost a goat to worms in the summer either
If you are losing goats to worms in the winter time you need to get out of the goat business

When you lost a kid to cocci would you have wanted someone to say that to you?

Below is some of the info mentioned above there are several more pages but this was the main portion....
(Parasitology for Veterinarians- Georgi)
Screenshot (71).png

Screenshot (70) - Copy.png

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wasn't looking for a debate. Simply curious and asked a question.:idunno

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wasn't looking for a debate. Simply curious and asked a question.:idunno
Sorry Latestarter- I wasn't referring to anything you said. :)

To the original OP-
How is your girl doing?
Have they checked her for tick borne illnesses by any chance? It was just a thought that came to me. So many have had tick borne issues this year, all over the country.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Check her fecal again. Deworm if needed (probably so) and check fecal again in 10 days to see reduction %. What dewormer are you using? Are you giving several doses to break the parasite lifecycle?

barberpole and liver flukes look very similar under the scope, you might want to ask your vet about treating her for LF as a precaution.

Will the doe eat any more feed? 2.5 cups for a standard breed is not going to do much at all. Especially when they are already compromised.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The vet gave safeguard, Ivomec and Strongid.. I followed the next month with prohibit and this month again with safeguard.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry Latestarter- I wasn't referring to anything you said. :)

To the original OP-
How is your girl doing?
Have they checked her for tick borne illnesses by any chance? It was just a thought that came to me. So many have had tick borne issues this year, all over the country.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Today I am still a little guarded. I watched her all day like a hawk, I cancelled a dentist appointment tomorrow to be here to watch her. Her eyes look much brighter and she actually walked around her pen grazing and I saw her eating much more hay then she has ate in days. I fed her this morning 1/3 cup of shredded beet pulp with warm water (because in Ga it was cold with molasses.) Took out warm water with molasses to warm her up. Tonight I fed her, her regular feed (sweet feed), shredded beet pulp, Vitamins, power punch and vitamin b. I honestly due to the vets test of her fecal think it is not a worm issue. She is an awesome vet. I am taking another fecal tomorrow. I have honestly never had a worm load issue here. Maybe lucky I do not know. I know that this health issue started a few months after her giving birth to her twins in May. This birth seemed to take more out of her then ever before. She was in excellent health before. I will never breed her again in case this was the cause. Thank you all so much for your help.