Anemic doe

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today I am still a little guarded. I watched her all day like a hawk, I cancelled a dentist appointment tomorrow to be here to watch her. Her eyes look much brighter and she actually walked around her pen grazing and I saw her eating much more hay then she has ate in days. I fed her this morning 1/3 cup of shredded beet pulp with warm water (because in Ga it was cold with molasses.) Took out warm water with molasses to warm her up. Tonight I fed her, her regular feed (sweet feed), shredded beet pulp, Vitamins, power punch and vitamin b. I honestly due to the vets test of her fecal think it is not a worm issue. She is an awesome vet. I am taking another fecal tomorrow. I have honestly never had a worm load issue here. Maybe lucky I do not know. I know that this health issue started a few months after her giving birth to her twins in May. This birth seemed to take more out of her then ever before. She was in excellent health before. I will never breed her again in case this was the cause. Thank you all so much for your help.

Didn't sound like it to me either, and your vet is working so great with you too... sounds like what we went through in a way.
The thread got off track. So sorry Terrilhb.
Anyway, I can't blame you one bit for being a bit guarded. Cases like these are just strange. We felt pretty upset for about a month... bad upset, stressed really.
So hard when there is no rhyme or reason.
If I can just encourage you... you are doing all you can, no matter which way this goes you know you have done everything and that says alot.
I am pulling for her. Our gal was really on deaths door and she made it.

I do have a question- are you or your vet worried about too much molasses? It can bind minerals.
Did your vet do a blood panel?

Trying to see if there is something that your doe and my doe had in common. Ruby didn't have a parasite issue either.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Didn't sound like it to me either, and your vet is working so great with you too... sounds like what we went through in a way.
The thread got off track. So sorry Terrilhb.
Anyway, I can't blame you one bit for being a bit guarded. Cases like these are just strange. We felt pretty upset for about a month... bad upset, stressed really.
So hard when there is no rhyme or reason.
If I can just encourage you... you are doing all you can, no matter which way this goes you know you have done everything and that says alot.
I am pulling for her. Our gal was really on deaths door and she made it.

I do have a question- are you or your vet worried about too much molasses? It can bind minerals.
Did your vet do a blood panel?

Trying to see if there is something that your doe and my doe had in common. Ruby didn't have a parasite issue either.
Yes she did a blood panel. Except for being anemic everything came back good. No she did not tell me it could bind minerals. I will cut back on it and keep up with the other treatments. So far this morning she is up and eating her hay like she has not had hay for ever. LOL. Thank you so much for your support and help.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
So happy to hear she is eating hay. I know you had to be just jumping for joy inside seeing that!
:fl:fl:fl
I know it is a day by day roller coaster going through something like this, those glimpses of even the smallest things keep up that hope!

What is your girl's name?

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So happy to hear she is eating hay. I know you had to be just jumping for joy inside seeing that!
:fl:fl:fl
I know it is a day by day roller coaster going through something like this, those glimpses of even the smallest things keep up that hope!

What is your girl's name?
Her name is Sara. She is walking around more today. I notice her front legs are still a little weak but does not seem to be as bad. I have not had to lift her up off the ground in 2 days. I am crossing fingers too. She was my first doe. Thank you Southern for all of your encouragement and help. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. And I have given her no molasses today.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugs:hugs:hugs

Thank you so much for sharing.
Sara is special to you and it shows. Even though we can love all our goats, there are some that just mean something more to us.
When we were going through this it just didn't make sense. I honestly don't think I would have believed something like this could happen if it didn't happen to us.
I mean I would, but there is no way I would have understand the complexity.
As you know, you wrap your head around it and go over every little thing... the vet does the same... and then there is that period of such stress and sadness/
Afraid to have hope sometimes, but knowing you have to. Touching their sweet face and giving a kiss and feeling so helpless.

Hoping for that miraculous recovery for Sara like our Ruby. She is blessed to have you, you have and still are doing an amazing job caring for her.
Very happy to hear she is walking around! Eating and walking! YES!
:woot:woot

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:hugs:hugs:hugs

Thank you so much for sharing.
Sara is special to you and it shows. Even though we can love all our goats, there are some that just mean something more to us.
When we were going through this it just didn't make sense. I honestly don't think I would have believed something like this could happen if it didn't happen to us.
I mean I would, but there is no way I would have understand the complexity.
As you know, you wrap your head around it and go over every little thing... the vet does the same... and then there is that period of such stress and sadness/
Afraid to have hope sometimes, but knowing you have to. Touching their sweet face and giving a kiss and feeling so helpless.

Hoping for that miraculous recovery for Sara like our Ruby. She is blessed to have you, you have and still are doing an amazing job caring for her.
Very happy to hear she is walking around! Eating and walking! YES!
:woot:woot
Have you ever heard of shredded beet pulp helping? I was going to give her some CMPK tomorrow. Just in case. I know you are not a vet, but anything else to give her without hurting her but helping her to get better. I know being anemic takes a long time to recover from. Thank you

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you remind me, because I know sometimes changes are daily in these situations, what your daily protocol is right now... or what you did in the last week etc

I know with Ruby, some things we gave every few days, somethings everyday.
I was more the basketcase with Ruby- Goat Whisperer's tenacity and Ruby's will along with (I believe) God's hand saved her.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Can you remind me, because I know sometimes changes are daily in these situations, what your daily protocol is right now... or what you did in the last week etc

I know with Ruby, some things we gave every few days, somethings everyday.
I was more the basketcase with Ruby- Goat Whisperer's I tenacity and Ruby's will along with (I believe) God's hand saved her.
I took her off redcell. And molasses. But I am feeding her1 /3
cup of shredded beet pulp and vitamin b 12 pill in the morning with warm water. She eats hay all hay all day. In the evening I give her 2 cups of sweet feed and 1/3 cup of shredded beet pulp with 3 vitamin b 12 pills. I am not doing shots because it is hard to find skin to give it in. This has been since I stopped the red cell not wanting to overdose her. And I quit the molasses for now so it does not bind her loose minerals.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
How long was she on redcell?
How often? alot at first then less frequency? Like everyday then every 3 days then 1x week- (just as an example)

I would be very hesitant in adding the CMPK unless your vet says so.
Right now she is doing better so I would be cautious to add and change much.
We do use beet pulp.
Injections when they are thin and down are just too much for them, I'm with you- if you can do it without injection that is good.

I would recommend probiotics- just straight probios. We like the powder mixed with a bit of water and drenched. If you wet the beet pulp you could sprinkle on top I imagine or maybe on the sweet feed.