Angora rabbit chews ears

rebelshope

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a beautiful REW English angora rabbit. I would like to show her. She chews her ears, that is it. Just the tips of her ears. Other wise she has a very nice coat. Anyway to stop this?

I have thought of using a little vet wrap on the ends of her ears just to keep her from chew them. Are rabbits deterred by bitter apple?

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Have you tried giving her tons of hay and plenty of different styles of chewing blocks and different toys? Maybe a new cage or a new cage location...
That is where I would start with her.

I have not heard of using the bitter apple and would be hesitant to try it... a lot of times rabbits just need adjustment in their environment to stop the vice.

waynesgarden

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bitter apple is sold for just this purpose, to keep small animals from chewing in themselves or cage mates, or from licking wounbds and preventing them from healing.

I've read that occasionally there are bunnies that actually like the taste. Silly wabbits.

Wayne

rebelshope

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She does have hay, and I just added some toys. I have had her awhile and this has always been a problem. She has a good sized cage.

I know bitter apple is used for cats and down but didn't know how rabbits would feel about it. I hate to add something that would make her want to chew them more.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well, you can also try to move her cage to a different location.

You can also alter the day-light hours to try to stop it.

You could also try to bandage back her ears?
I would have to look at her ears to see how I would bandage. Can you post a picture.

Check to make sure she doesn't have ear mites too.

You could also gently rinse the tips of her ears with water once a day. Your attention to the ears may stop her from chewing them.

rebelshope

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My idea was to put a little vet wrap around them. I will try to get some picture tomorrow.

They honesty are not that bad, but like I said I want to show her. Otherwise I wouldn't really care.

Moving the cage has not helped in the past. She has done this the entire time I have had her. I did move her cage, and now I really don't know where I would put her if I tried to move her again.

Light maybe a factor. She is a cooler place in the house now, but there is less light. It she has natural light but I wonder if it enough. Although she has more light before and like I said she still chewed her ears.

Thanks again, i will have to keep trying stuff. :D