Animal chores

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity: Is it the man or woman of the house that takes care of the animal chores or is it shared?

Around here it is the man of the house because the wife deals with day to day business and some other dairy related jobs.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here I the woman do most of the daily chores. But I stay at home and my husband works.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would say shared. I feed, water etc, but DH installed two rolls of goat fence, dozens of poles, four gates, and turned half of his blacksmith shop into a barn with stalls. All because I saw two baby goats that I had to have. I financed this little fiasco, but he did all the heavy lifting. :p

That being said, I am the one that goes out before 7 and let everyone out of the barn, fights the rooster, and cleans up the chicken poop. I'm sure, I will also be the one to take over the milking duties next spring when we breed our girls for the first time. So may it's 60/40 shared. :lol:

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Animal chores are all done by the woman of the house, with the exception of fence repairs and such, that is shared. Daily care, feeding watering, medicating, grooming etc all done by the lady of the house.

Things may have to change though. I now have a job outside the home and if I can't manage all the chorse on my own DH will have to pitch in!

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Chore responsibility is shared. Some things I do more of like bottle feeding BlackJack, but DH pitches in with that too sometimes. When it comes to projects around the property, DH does more on that. I help with what I can on projects, but someone has to watch the kids so projects can be completed, and that tends to be my job.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
shared.. but i do more i think - especially since i have evening chores alone now which is different from most of this summer.

once they get to a certain size, i dont like to feed the pigs and refuse to get into the yard with them. but i do midday chores with them (water, midday meal if its something i can toss over the fence for them).

and there are some things i cant do - some heavy lifting and chainsawing. my husband is a foot taller and has about 100lbs on me so its just easier for him to do jobs. but its harder for him to milk to goats..... and i'm a better carpenter so i do the building. but he's better with fencing. so its more about who's most able to do which chores than anything else.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
The normal day to day feeding, cleaning, medicating, etc is all done by me (the woman). The animals are my thing, and DH doesn't really enjoy doing much with them. He will occasionally go out and bring the goats treats, and I caught him feeding a turkey a piece of bread the other day. :p If there's a big chore I can't do myself (for example, building a chicken coop, putting up fence, etc) he'll help, but I usually do all that I can on my own before having to call him for help. He'll usually help me go load hay (if it's a big load) but I usually unload it myself.

Latest posts