another pinkeye question

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
long story short, I've been raising goats for 4yrs, first time with pink-eye. bought a pygmy goat, she was quartened, thought she was fine and was put in with a small pen with 4nubian doelings, and 3 other pygmy's, we got pink-eye!! I treated those goats with agrimycin 200 at dosage of 5ccper 100# and also used a cream of those with the worsed eyes, cleared up, and jumped pen and 5 goats had pinkeye, treated them the same. it came back to my pen with where it started, 3 does had it again, moved them to separte pen and retreated.then my big pen got it, all but 4 had symptoms, but treated the whole herd with la-200. Okay here is where I'm at---- the 3 small does that were separated and retreated, are still having weeping eyes, but clear eyes,(no clouds) I have 3 big does (preggo) that have cloudy eyes, no weeping, I gave a series of shots, and really don't think I should keep giving shots at this point, question, should these 6 does just taking more time to get rid of it, or should I keep treating untill no more signs? It's driving me crazy!!! how long do you treat? first pen received 1 shot a day for 4 days, my big girls got 1shot a day for five days, the small 3nubians have had at least 10 shots, over the course of going on 3 wks, should be getting immuned to the treatment I would think. Everyone else is clear, thank goodness, just concern with the 6 and if I should keep treating or let it run its course, by the way, I ran into the guy that sold me my little pygmy and he ask how it was doing, I said okay, and he preceded to tell me that it had, a clouded eye but a friend gave him some drops to put in his eye right before he sold him to me. so shame on him and shame on me, buyer always be aware!!!!!!!!sorrry my short story got long. and yes I've been cleaning the eye area with listorene and warm water, and should I put these 6 does togather as the big does are still out. Patty thanks!!!!! and please don't give me a hard time, It's been real stressfull around here lately!!!!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Have you cleaned out there pens really well? I know now it is going into winter but you may want to completely clean out the pens and then clorox them.

Other than get a good goat vet involved, I'm not sure what you should do as far as treatment for the goats. It sounds like something more needs to be done to get rid of it once and for all but I'm just not sure.

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
yeah I cleaned stalls, put down fresh straw, I've done it all, I just now went out for 2 hours, (IT'S COLD OUT THERE!!!!) moved my bucks, moved my ducks, put all the small does togather that are completly cleaned! Put the worse cases togather in another pen with fresh straw. and let the rest of my big does that are getting better in the big pen. hauled water, and moved my female great prymes in with the small does, so she won't get bred this month, now that she's in heat. trying to get control before my surgery. just want to know how long it takes for it to pass. also washed everyones faces:lol::celebrate they really went for that:hit, anyway I hope how I did things today makes things alot better, I have 2 due in january to kid that have some symptoms, I hope it's over before then. Patty

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
You need to be treating them with an LA200 equivalent both SQ and optically until all symptoms are gone.

If it is chlamydia...it might bring on an abortion storm if not thoroughly treated.

Watch their globes too...as the pressure can build to the point of rupture.

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am using la 200, I just went out and put a drop in each of their eyes, I only have one doe who's eye is really cloudy and a bit bulgy, I've cleaned her real well. Most of the herd is sperated now, from all todays work, hope it pans out. I know from info, that sometimes they can go blind, that's what I am worried about with the one that's so cloudy. I'm doing injectiable and eye drops of the la200. thanks,

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
pinkeye has cleared, I just have two separated from herd, everyone is doing good. I am so gratefull for that, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!