Any Alpaca gurus here??

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a herd of all studs, never have had problems with them being aggressive towards us. Only time I have been spit at is when I get caught in the crossfire. Still annoying that they told you he was gelded.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor Derrik! My understanding is that they hum when they are stressed. My guys did that for couple of weeks after they arrived in Oct 2016 but I've not heard them hum since. Derrik must be really lonely.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, hum when cornered or unsure about things.
Then the girls hum at me as if they are telling me to go away....hahaha

Anywho, Arturo on his way home.
20180215_150047.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is a pretty boy!

Interesting, my boys do not hum at all. Not even when I make them nervous by going in their area. They have to decide if they want to hurry out of the barn or stay because SNACKS!

They scream at each other sometimes. And Laddie spits at Teddy, but the only other noise I've heard from them for over a year is when they alert on something ... deer, turkeys, cat so far out in the field at the edge of the woods I need binoculars to see it. Sometimes I can't figure out what they are alerting on.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
They may not need to. You have LGDs to scare things off. They sound kind of like a donkey braying.

Looks like they are ready to be a herd of two :)