Any Alpaca gurus here??

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Snacking on sweet feed? That is the only snack my boys like, I mix some in with their maintenance pellets.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have FINALLY found an alpaca vet! And they just hardly make it to my area!
o_O:weee
Screenshot_20191121-090945_Yahoo Mail.jpg
Ty needs to see the vet. Something about older geldings makes them so fragile, at least compared to young stud Derrik. :hu

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have FINALLY found an alpaca vet! And they just hardly make it to my area!
o_O:weee
View attachment 67618
Ty needs to see the vet. Something about older geldings makes them so fragile, at least compared to young stud Derrik. :hu
I should probably get a vet out to look at my boys simply because they have never been seen. Laddie is missing a front tooth and the other is growing out. Teddy's front teeth are orthodontist perfect, no idea about the others.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your alpacas get more pellets than mine though mine wouldn't complain if I increased the amount.

The old guy is real skinny, I'd prefer to give them none.
I'm not the type to call lean or super fit animals skinny. Skinny means little to no muscle, bones obvious, to me. And when you can see them through fiber or wool, you know crap has hit the fan.
Fecal came back clean, teeth fine, so load em up with food & hope it helps was the advice...Not very helpful, but what can ya do?

Adjusted the gate, hoping Derrik can't limbo in, I'll keep the pan full once I'm sure he can't.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree, if you can see bones under an alpaca's fiber there isn't enough muscle on the animal. I hope he does OK.