Any guess as to what breed he is

Horsiezz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Is he gaited? When I first saw the pics,and didnt read anything he reminded me of a Missouri Fox Trotter. I just went to see some MFTs at a breeders place, and she had alot of Palominos.... with about the same build.
But if he isnt gaited, I would say Quarab. A Quarter horse arabian mix.

wvgal61

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No he's not gaited. Just walks, trots, and canters

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A little history... During the Remount days they used Purebred Arabian stallions as well as TB stallions ( a breed that originated using 3 Arab stallions on local English mares) to improve the ranch horses which were a mixture of the offspring of imported TBs, carriage horses, then the Morgan, light draft breeds like Cleveland Bays, mustangs, etc. Those Arab horses decendants became what is known today as the Quarter Horses.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I thought "Janus" (TB) was the original sire, although going from an 18th century "original sire" to the first registered QH, "Wimpy" (circa 1940) is a stretch. :lol:

w c

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Quarter horses have Arab in them just like almost every breed in the world at one time or another wound up having some Arab mixed in. Arabs and Thoroughbreds are considered refiners and improvers and have figured in a lot of breed's histories. The US remount registry consisted mostly of grade, crossbred or partbred (part THoroughbred) mares put to Thoroughbred and other improver stallions.

Quarter Horses also had a lot of other breeds that contributed to them - Thoroughbred (also some Arab in them) and others. For many years the trend in QH breeding the tendency has been to favor a so called 'baby doll head' that isn't much different from the head on a nice Arab horse, but sometimes can be seen to have a little deeper or wider jowl than an Arab.

I don't think he will look so angular when he gets some weight on him. The wither will look less prominent and the hind quarter more round. Right now his neck looks a little Quarter Horse ish as it's kind of low set on his body, but when he fills out that impression might be different. Right now he has no 'topline'(curve of muscle and fat) to his neck because he's thin.

If you could put up a picture of all of him, I would give it a guess. As it is, I might guess he is part Quarter Horse and part 'something else', though it would help to know where he came from and what there is a lot of in that area. Example, some parts of this country, about all you can find is Quarter Horses. In some areas, there are more Morgans, and in some, hardly any at all, etc.

But I can't see his hind quarters. It's easy to get led along by the pretty little head or the palomino color, but I tend to like to get a look at the whole horse and see what sort of balance he has before making a 'real guess'.

OK now I see the whole horse. Not a typical Quarter Horse backend. Wow. Nice long slightly level croup and really well positioned hind legs with good hocks. Hmmm. Pretty interesting, a little Mystery Horse. Even if someone held my feet to the fire and made me guess, I don't know what I'd say.

You got yourself a really nice horse. He's well built and has a very, very good eye. It says, 'I think I died and went to Heaven, because I sure have it good here'. '