Any ideas about what is causing this?

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi,

My mom's dog has a fairly large swollen area under her jaw. She doesn't object to my touching the area. It is not hard anywhere. Was fine last night and swollen this morning.

My guess is she got bit by something. But, I would like to be sure. Do dogs get edema under the jaw when they have parasites?

She did get bit last year - a snake was my guess at the time- and this looks a lot like that.

Anyway please take a look and let me know what you think.

20160406_173121.jpg

20160406_173144.jpg

Please let me know what you think,

Lisa

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks Southern.

As added info the dog is eating and drinking like normal. She is a little slower about jumping up on me. But her attitude is still very much the same. And most important, her breathing is completely normal.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If I can get her to be still. I will at least loosen it a notch. Talk about a high energy dog. Normally this one would be able to jump over the 4 foot gate if she had any forward motion to her jumps. Right now, she isn't trying too hard. And, if the swelling gets any worse I will be contacting the vet. My vet is a less is more type when it comes to medications so chances of her suggesting anything is minimal unless things get worse. She will likely suggest a cloth soaked in epsom salt water. Especially if there was any open wound. I am doing that a couple times a day anyway.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Then perhaps you should try the cloth soaked in epsom salt water now.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and gave the benedryl. If it is a reaction to some kind of bug bite then it should work. I do not know whether it will work if I am dealing with a snake bite.

At work I have been told that, for people anyway, if the one bitten survives the first 30 minutes then they should be okay. I am not saying that recovery is easy, just most probable. One reason I am really considering trying to get an epi pen to have on hand. Here the any hospital or clinic is at least 20 minutes away and so are any paramedics.

The only reason I did the benedryl is because the vet gave me the info over the phone. One complication is this dog belongs to my mother and she is out of the country for a few more days. So getting permission to do anything is rather tricky and I don't have the funds to just pay the vet myself right now. Also, the vets around here require payment at the time of service.

I just hope and pray this works. Or that this swelling goes down on its own.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Benadryl is commonly prescribed for snakebites...but yes...it would probably have been best if it were administered as soon as possible after the bite, if that's what it was.