Any insight?

thumbelina

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We are still pretty new to rabbits and we purchased 4 rabbits from a person who claimed that all does were "about 2 weeks along". We have now had the rabbits in our possession for 33 days and no kits. I had 2 of them pull a little fur for about a day then nothing after that. Yesterday I took one of the does and put her in with my buck and he immediately mounted her and got 3 fall offs fairly quickly but i could not tell if she was actually lifting for him or not. I put one of the other does that was suppose to be pregnant with him after that and he sniffed her and mounted but didnt fall off and stopped trying to mount her right after that. he just kinda ignored her after that. is that a sign that she might actually be pregnant and if so should i be concerned that she hasnt had kits yet?

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s possible the one that pulled fur had a false pregnancy. They do that sometimes. Fall offs don’t always guarantee babies as mamas can expel if they don’t want to have babies or aren’t in good enough condition.
The one the buck wasn’t interested in...I would double check to make sure it’s really a girl. Bucks can and will fall off a female even if she’s already bred.

thumbelina

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Non-rabbit owner here, but could the stress of being sold and moved have caused them to re-absorb the litter?
I was wondering the same thing honestly but theres still 2 of them that look pregnant like their bellies seem to be a little saggy but i have no idea how to tell if they are still preggers or not.

thumbelina

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It’s possible the one that pulled fur had a false pregnancy. They do that sometimes. Fall offs don’t always guarantee babies as mamas can expel if they don’t want to have babies or aren’t in good enough condition.
The one the buck wasn’t interested in...I would double check to make sure it’s really a girl. Bucks can and will fall off a female even if she’s already bred.
she is definitely a female lol

thumbelina

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So I got home yesterday and the one that the buck fell off of had pulled a good bit of fur.....so maybe she might be getting ready to kindle afterall but I have no idea if shes just tricking me again or not. The black in the nest is her fur.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210303-201556_Blink.jpg
    Screenshot_20210303-201556_Blink.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot_20210303-202445_Blink.jpg
    Screenshot_20210303-202445_Blink.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 115

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have exact dates? I'd wait several more days before trying to breed anymore. That's a good sign she's going to kindle soon. Some does will accept a buck at anytime.... some will only if they're in heat, they can be induced to heat though by around the buck, or him trying. So I put them together at least twice, several hours apart.

thumbelina

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do you have exact dates? I'd wait several more days before trying to breed anymore. That's a good sign she's going to kindle soon. Some does will accept a buck at anytime.... some will only if they're in heat, they can be induced to heat though by around the buck, or him trying. So I put them together at least twice, several hours apart.
no the lady couldnt tell me exact dates because she said they were her sons and he didnt tell her the details only that they were "about 2 weeks along" but now im thinking the may have been bred later than that

thumbelina

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How are they? Any babies?
Not from any of those 4 but I did have one of my other does give birth Friday to 6 beautiful babies!! I'm still at a loss about the 4 "pregnant" does. The black doe that I tried to breed back to my buck has now started grunting at the buck if I put her near him so she might be pregnant now and will be due in another 3 weeks if she is. I put one of the other 4 with the buck and she also grunted at him but has not been "rebred" yet so I have no idea whats up with that lol guess I will just have to keep trying!!