Any pregnancy advice?

Toni87max

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A few months ago i thought my doe was about to drop! Now 3 months later i can feel movement on the right side kicking my hand. Going by dates she could either be due from today or around 11th jan. Her vulva looks looser which i have a pic of and there seems to be pressure on the area. She has lost last two pregnancies so hoping its 3rd time lucky. No bag but teats are larger?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If you've done much reading on here regarding kidding, you've probably seen the mentions of "doe code". It's true... every word of it. They will make you crazy waiting if you let them. Pictures really help as obviously, we can't see/hear/feel what you are. How did you arrive at the dates you mentioned above? Since you say she's lost her last 2 pregnancies (How? What happened? Full term losses? So sorry!) Do you recall when she bagged up during those? Since (if) she's been through this before, she should follow the same basic routine.

The best way to determine when she's going is a combination of a bunch of things. There's vaginal discharge; yellow/gold/creamy/rope like. The kids "dropping" into position. Bagging up, but this could happen weeks early or right at or just after kidding. Behavioral; nesting, stretching, pawing, "talking" to her kids, etc. And probably the go to for most is the ligaments on either side of her tail. They'll feel like "pencils" normally, but will stretch out and "disappear" in order for the kid to pass through.

Generally speaking, when the ligs go, she's very close, like within 24 hours. Now, here's the kicker: some goats have learned that we track this, so they've learned to slip their ligs, then tighten them back up repeatedly over time so it's not a "one and done" absolute either. :barnie So, we're kinda back to square one: doe code. Generally speaking though, once the ligs start going, the kid(s) is/are coming very soon! IMHO, the best thing to do is to breath, relax, be prepared, and observant. Best wishes for a successful kidding this go 'round! :)

Last edited:

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi there, we just went through a kidding and the most reliable sign we had was the pre kidding string. It is a long clear gel like thick thing over a foot long. She went into labor shortly after. With the udder, my Dotti stayed small with about a pint of milk, her udder did not fill in tight till 7-8 days later. She had twins, just make sure they are getting on. Best wishes!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
She has lost last two pregnancies so hoping its 3rd time lucky. No bag but teats are larger?

Losing two in a row is concerning. Generally with consecutive loss there is a real reason.
There are several diseases that can cause abortion.
Chlamydia, Toxoplasmosis, Leptospirosis, Brucellosis... there are a few others however these would be the main ones to look into.
How far along (weeks of gestation if you have exact dates) was she with the two losses.

The other factor is poor nutrition. Looking at parasitic load would be a good start, then look at feed, hay, mineral. Is it adequate for her weight? Do you know the value of your hay?

Vulva shots won't tell us much unless there is already discharge.

Top view, side view, and udder pics may be helpful.

Toni87max

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
H
Losing two in a row is concerning. Generally with consecutive loss there is a real reason.
There are several diseases that can cause abortion.
Chlamydia, Toxoplasmosis, Leptospirosis, Brucellosis... there are a few others however these would be the main ones to look into.
How far along (weeks of gestation if you have exact dates) was she with the two losses.

The other factor is poor nutrition. Looking at parasitic load would be a good start, then look at feed, hay, mineral. Is it adequate for her weight? Do you know the value of your hay?

Vulva shots won't tell us much unless there is already discharge.

Top view, side view, and udder pics may be helpful.
Hi there, we just went through a kidding and the most reliable sign we had was the pre kidding string. It is a long clear gel like thick thing over a foot long. She went into labor shortly after. With the udder, my Dotti stayed small with about a pint of milk, her udder did not fill in tight till 7-8 days later. She had twins, just make sure they are getting on. Best wishes!
If you've done much reading on here regarding kidding, you've probably seen the mentions of "doe code". It's true... every word of it. They will make you crazy waiting if you let them. Pictures really help as obviously, we can't see/hear/feel what you are. How did you arrive at the dates you mentioned above? Since you say she's lost her last 2 pregnancies (How? What happened? Full term losses? So sorry!) Do you recall when she bagged up during those? Since (if) she's been through this before, she should follow the same basic routine.

The best way to determine when she's going is a combination of a bunch of things. There's vaginal discharge; yellow/gold/creamy/rope like. The kids "dropping" into position. Bagging up, but this could happen weeks early or right at or just after kidding. Behavioral; nesting, stretching, pawing, "talking" to her kids, etc. And probably the go to for most is the ligaments on either side of her tail. They'll feel like "pencils" normally, but will stretch out and "disappear" in order for the kid to pass through.

Generally speaking, when the ligs go, she's very close, like within 24 hours. Now, here's the kicker: some goats have learned that we track this, so they've learned to slip their ligs, then tighten them back up repeatedly over time so it's not a "one and done" absolute either. :barnie So, we're kinda back to square one: doe code. Generally speaking though, once the ligs start going, the kid(s) is/are coming very soon! IMHO, the best thing to do is to breath, relax, be prepared, and observant. Best wishes for a successful kidding this go 'round! :)

Thankyou. She lost a mummified baby 2 years ago. Vet said probably toxoplasmosis. Last year she had the most beautiful twin girls who survived a short while but were perfect accept just too small to survive. The vet said there was no reason we shouldnt try once more. She didnt bag up last time. She had no plug or sting. ( not sure if it was because they were a few days early ). Her milk came in after she had the twins. I counted her seasons from 10th july, definatley a season, 31st july unsure and after 21st august i had my billy castrated . She is just very cuddly ( wasnt before ) yawning lots and licking her lips. She looks big and i can definitely feel movement on right side. Thanks for the replies

Toni87max

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
20181223_112906.jpg