1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Any show breed rabbit shows in East Texas?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Rabbits' started by TXFarmGirl, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Jan 29, 2019
    TXFarmGirl

TXFarmGirl Overrun with beasties

My daughter Would Really love to either show her chickens, or get into showing rabbits or goats, but she doesn't want them to have to be meat pen, she wants them to just be fancy breeds or what not. We don't want to have to drive to Louisiana or Dallas for a show though. Our local 4-H and FFA groups don't really have a clue about non-meat pen animals. We've even called our extension offices, but they just don't have the info we are looking for. We are in the Longview/Marshall/Hallsville TX area, and we don't want to have to drive more then about an hour for a show. Anybody have any info for her? Thanks SO much!!

2. Jan 29, 2019
    promiseacres

promiseacres Herd Master

Have you checked out the Arba.net? You can find local arba clubs and shows. Arba is American Rabbit Breeders Association

3. Jan 29, 2019
    TXFarmGirl

TXFarmGirl Overrun with beasties

Yes, but it won't let us just search Texas shows...

4. Jan 29, 2019
    promiseacres

promiseacres Herd Master

I know it was updated recently maybe just has bugs to work out... any local fb rabbit pages? You could ask there

5. Jan 29, 2019
    promiseacres

promiseacres Herd Master

Type in Texas in the search on the site, it will show Texas shows first

TXFarmGirl likes this.
  6. Jan 30, 2019
    Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Tale of Tails Rabbitry Loving the herd life

Have a good look at Silver Foxes! It still a meat/fur rabbit, but rather challenging to get the type and that unique longer, stand up, silvering fur to SOP. Besides that they have a sweet temperament, often referred as the teddy bear of rabbit breeds. I know there are a few breeders in and around Texas. If she gets into a pet breed, that is a whole different set of buyers that tend to be really fickled.

I do not sell my rabbits as pets. They either go to show or meat breeders or are a meal for our dog or us. No waste.