Any suggestions on the best way to cook ducks?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
As it says in the topic line...

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Roast them. prick the skin. The skin cooks up crispy. Put a little water in the pan so it doesn't scorch the bottom.

Thank you.

Fun stuff.

Just to clarify, are you talking flame roast, or oven roast?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
We don't eat our ducks as a meal, per se, but can them up in a jar just like chicken and use them in recipes later on...usually soups or casseroles. Makes them go further.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you want to get fancy, spatchcock the duck. That’s cutting down both sides of the backbone to remove it. Open the carcass and flatten it out. Roast in oven at 350. Mix the pan drippings with the juice and zest from one orange, mix in a little brown sugar. Place duck on bed of cooked rice and drizzle glaze over the duck.

galinaring

Reaction score
As it says in the topic line... 8 ball pool
Confit is great, roasting is great (probably better if store bought and not hunted), but the best results I've ever had came from deep frying it like I would a turkey at thanksgiving. Of course you'd need the setup for it but for crispy skin and moist, just perfectly done meat, it's hard to beat the deep fryer.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry to follow up question;

When do roast duck with like potatoes and carrots around it, are you supposed to put a gravy in there too? Or do you also only add the liquid, gravy (or whatever you put in?) after its cooked a certain time?

Thanks.

One of my relatives wants to do something weird and likes spicy food and strange stuff so I want to avoid that route.