Any thoughts on these two kinds of feed?

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello all

I went to Tractor Supply yesterday for duck, chicken, and cattle/goat feed. I decided to look for some higher protein pellets for my two calves, Joyce and Levi. Which would be better? I kind was thinking the 14%, it says it supports muscle weight, growth, and weight gain, on the other hand, the other doesn’t say much about what it supports, but is 16% crude protein. Any thoughts?
273FDD56-59F6-4EC8-AEE3-723A79B4C522.jpeg
B8940864-D417-4D4A-9DC3-793B92FD90E3.jpeg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Look at the tags and see what the actual ingredients are. Whole grains are a better source of food value in most cases than alot of byproducts.
Higher protein translates into better muscle growth in most cases. For the age of your cattle I think that the 16 % would be better... A calf feed will be better balanced for total growth... the stocker feed is meant to be fed with a very good quality hay and is designed more for an animal that is growing good and is getting more feed value from their roughages.
We feed a "stocker pellet" to the older steers on silage and hay and the cow calf herd... we feed a higher protein to the younger weaned animals and to my nurse cows and the younger calves that come in the creep gate... it has more whole grains in it and they do better on it.

Last edited:

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Look at the tags and see wheat the actual ingredients are. Whole grains are a better source of food value in most cases than alot of byproducts.
Higher protein translates into better muscle growth in most cases. For the age of your cattle I think that the 16 % would be better... A calf feed will be better balanced for total growth... the stocker feed is meant to be fed with a very good quality hay and is designed more for an animal that is growing good and is getting more feed value from their roughages.
We feed a "stocker pellet" to the older steers on silage and hay and the cow calf herd... we feed a higher protein to the younger weaned animals and to my nurse cows and the younger calves that come in the creep gate... it has more whole grains in it and they do better on it.
Okay thank you. So the calf starter would be best to go with? I think it’s a bit cheaper then the Stock Grower