Any tips for a first time goat buyer?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head, I'm such an over thinker, honestly. Thank you for the response and I will certainly post photos! I like having these forums because everyones support makes me feel like i can jump in with both feet. Thank you all!
What mini said ...

And I would go with the doe in milk.

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One last question, after getting a response from the seller I was able to get a bunch of information about the does who will be in milk. They said they let the dam raise the babies until 9-10 weeks and then get them milk tested, most of their does milk 3.5-4lbs with 5.5-6 milk fat on average. However, after weaning the seller doesn't continue to milk the doe and lets them dry up. I have no lactation period to go by and I would have to get a four year old doe to get used to being milked every day. The seller thinks it shouldn't be a problem but I thought I would ask all of you before I jump head first. My options, try to buy a doe and doeling or just two doeling kids? Thanks in advance!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So the only does in milk that she will be selling are 4 years old?

And wowsers that you have no idea how long they might lactate.

I would call around and see what else is out there.

Yes, I know you said nothing else was close... but a long road trip,done once, isn't that bad.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
If a longer road trip not happening this time -- yes, there will be more times ;) -- I would suggest a doe and doeling. That way the doe is in milk and has a friend to lessen her moving upset (the doeling), then time to integrate with these wethers you are getting. She will not automatically like them just because they are also goats. They will need to be fence line introduced for a while and not just put together. Plus, this will give you 2 does to breed after baby grows up. You can milk doe and keep production up, taking more as doeling is weaned. Be aware with mom right there, she may be harder to wean, unless separated by fence for a while.

Wethers can be good or not. Personality thing. You will just have to decide once you interact. There are none here at my farm, unless growing out for butcher and in a boy vs girl pen.

Last edited:

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am posting here in case anyone who gave me advice would like to see my two options for does in milk.

You opinions and tips are very much so appreciated.

Latest posts