Anybody spin?

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would like to bring in a sheep or two to add to the spin house. What breed would work best with Angora Goats? Both in temperment and wool combination ... also would be used with angora rabbit (English and Giant .. colors and whites). Don't want to start a large herd ... just enjoy the animal and fiber. Do my own shearing.

Thank you ...

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I've done just at touch of spinning and would like to do more someday. I'm not really sure what would be the best to blend with Angora though. Maybe there are some other spinners out there that can answer that question. I'd think as long as you find a decent wool breed that most any decent quality wool would be a nice blend. :)

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've been bartering angora wool for cheviot wool. I've been really happy with the results. I'm blending 40% angora, 60% cheviot

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You run French or Satin? Does it soften out the guards? Or do you remove them? Just curious. The GAs have a little extra guard compared to the English ... mine are really soft and dense so would like to keep the texture without harshing it too much.

Thanks ... C.

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I only have French. Most of my angora is plucked with almost no guard hair. I do clip juniors, but still, almost no guard hair. And my FA's have "cottony" wool. Less guard hair than the show rabbits.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The finest wool breed is the Merino ( if you could still find one), then the Ramboulett, a larger sheep developed using the Merino. Followed by the Corriedale.

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Is it possible to run only altered males for wooling purposes?

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I've been bartering angora wool for cheviot wool. I've been really happy with the results. I'm blending 40% angora, 60% cheviot
Sounds like some high quality wool from a happy sheep! ;)

"The Cheviot has a medium fine fleece (50-56's spin count) and a generous staple length (4 to 5 inches) which made it the foundation fiber of the world renowned Scotch Tweed industry. For today's handspinner, Cheviot wool is an excellent fiber to work with for the novice or expert spinner. The novice will enjoy the wool's easy to spin, impossible to felt qualities, while the expert will appreciate the durability that Cheviot wool adds to a finished garment. Cheviots are shorn once a year, usually in the spring before lambing and yield an average of 8 pounds per head." http://www.hillshepherd.com/sheep.html

I love my Cheviot, she is very "all weather durable", calm and an easy keeper. Plus (don't tell her this) she is a dual purpose breed. ;)

Latest posts