anyone else having a fly proplem

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
these year the flys are at its worse have seen there everywhere one week I think I took care of it and then the next week im walking through flys I thinks its because of the unusual high temps and lack of rain
I think I already went through 3packs of fly ribbons and now there not as bad but its most likely because of the fact that we never had a winter these year and its been in the 90s most of the year I live in CA so anyone else having proplems

Melanie

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have a horrible fly problem. We had a pretty extreme winter for being in the south and we have rain quite frequently. Our temps are in the 90's and we have been at about 40% humidity. Last year was my first year with goats and we did not have even half the flies we have this year. I made fly traps yesterday that I found online and they seem to be working. I used a milk jug and filled it about a third of the way with water, added a cup of sugar, put the lid on and shook it up, added a cup of ACV, and a banana peel, and then you hang it in the barn or from the trees. Be sure to keep it a ways from your house because it attracts flies. It said it takes about a week to start working real well but mine already have several flies in them.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Everyone we know are having awful fly problems. (both in and out of NC) The fly's are really bad here too o_O Its so strange. Because its EVERYONE we know! We have fly ribbons up all over the place too, but the fly's are still crazy.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
fly ribbons are so great you can put a couple in your pocket then put them where you need them and they work pretty well expect when the flys are as heavy as this year then they arnt as effective but that milk jug trap sounds good I might try that

Melanie

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I will have to pick up some fly ribbons also. I was trying to avoid going to the store until next shopping trip but I think I am going to have to get serious about getting rid of these flys. Yuck!!!

I also plan on making more milk jug traps because they seem to be working.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also love the fly strips, but this year when I hang up 4-5 in the barn, they're coated within a day! The flies are starting to scare me this year.

I love the milk jug trap idea, I'm going to start making these.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The flys are horrible! I am going to spray down the goats but does anyone have any idea of what to do for the dogs? They are out In the fields with no structures so strips or jugs are not an option.

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The flies are relentless here in Texas this year. Our 2 new doelings born this Monday, who were really fragile, have had a hard time nursing because the flies are biting momma so much she accidentally kicks off the babies when they try to nurse. Because I was so afraid the first few days they wouldn't get to nurse much I spent the first 2 days after their being born out in the kidding pen with babies and momma shooing the flies off her so the babies could nurse. Our humidity is really bad and the temps have been in the mid 90s so far, but it feels realy hot. To encourage the babies to nurse by cooling them off a bit I have found that it helps to keep a mister running in the pen, but there's a bonus in that the flies won't land in the misted area. Surprisingly, the babies will actually get wet lying under the mist keeping cool. Momma keeps a safe distance at the very edge of the mist not getting wet, but still benefiting from the coolness there. The babies are thriving now and look great. Momma's colostrum is miracle stuff for their babies.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
man I hate when its hot and the humidity is bad you get sweaty easer and non of your cloths stay dry when your working