Anyone else use a walking box to move pigs?

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Saw it on an episode of homestead rescue it was a wooden box with four sides and a top but no bottom and handles at the top sides. They lowered it onto the sow so she couldn't see where she was walking and they walked her right over to her farrowing box. Will that work?
Most of my pigs come to the sound of me shaking a bucket, but i have a couple that will bullet around the farm and chase ensues and before we know it we're driving all over our neighbors property chasing pigs. Its happened yes. So we have decided to find another way to move those pigs.
We breed and butcher here on site so loading onto a trailer isn't the issue, it only becomes an issue when we have to move someone over to breeding pens and back again after they're done doing the do.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
2 hog panels will work too and would be easier than dropping a wooden box over an already suspicious hog. put a hog panel on both sides, secure the ends, it may take 3 people to move it, 1 on each end of the panels and 1 to shake a can of feed as an incentitive to move forward. I have used this method to move hogs from their pen to our trailer when we bought them.

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
2 hog panels will work too and would be easier than dropping a wooden box over an already suspicious hog. put a hog panel on both sides, secure the ends, it may take 3 people to move it, 1 on each end of the panels and 1 to shake a can of feed as an incentitive to move forward. I have used this method to move hogs from their pen to our trailer when we bought them.
I’ve heard you mention this method for moving pigs a couple times and have to ask, don’t you have issues with the pig trying to charge through the cattle panel?

Maybe my pigs have just been super skittish (probably) but most of the pigs that I’ve had to move have decided about halfway there that they want to go back home and no fence that they could see through was going to stop them.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Commercially we use cutting boards, a big red plastic board that the animal can’t se through and has handles. You can purchase them online. Two experienced people can move a pig anywhere they want with these. What’s your set up like? You have a farrowing box, do you have an alley that goes from the general area to the crate?
As far as a walking box goes, I can see that being difficult to get over a sow. If she doesn’t want to behave as is, good luck getting a dark box over the top of her.
I move a lot of sows everyday, and for the stubborn ones I’ve found the best trick is to get her running where you want to go and run right behind her with a cutting board. 9/10 times she’ll run right through wherever she was stopping before until you let off the pressure. For example when unloading a truck there is always a couple who want to stay on and be a pain. I start her toward the trailer door and keep pressure until she has passed that point. Then she’ll just walk right down to where she needs to go. Prey drive outweighs picky porkers. Without having a better idea of your setup there’s not much more I can suggest, good luck.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s why we toss ideas around, so people can apply what works for them. If you already have a skittish sow, I don’t see her standing still while you drop a box over her. LOL Maybe you could use the hog panels and drape it with a blanket. See? There’s another idea!

If you have animals that don’t fit the program, those are the ones you cull. If the rest of your sows come when called and follow you to where you want, then you have uncooperative sows, which ones do you keep/cull?

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
currently we have the sows on one side and boars pens on the other side, we plan to build an alleyway in between to make moving them easier in the future. We try not to cull our sows unless they are a problem child so to speak. We want to get our numbers up before we begin culling good breeders. We currently only have about 48 pigs and have only had to cull twice for issues.
As for the hog panels yeah the two girls im thinking of are julianas and we bought them as adults, Ive come along way with them but they are still pretty flighty when being moved and will zip and charge at any opening they can see. haven't tried the blanket over the face thing yet will try that today.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I meant drape the sides of the hog panel. It might be kinda hard to keep a blanket over her face. LOL LOL