Anyone have a gestation calendar for camelids?

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have this nifty little gestation calendar for goats that shows if bred on 'this' date - they are due (day 150) on 'this' date. It's a printed page so you can see all dates at one glance.

Does anyone have one of those for llamas/alpacas?

tygab

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bil said:
An easy way is just take the date of conception, subtract 3 weeks and then add a year.
Bil
or, to account for some seasonal differences, add two weeks in spring, minus two weeks in fall, and +/- however many days you plan to actually be around when they are getting born. ;) hint for those wondering: they like to be born when you're not around!

but the above method works pretty well.

sayyadina

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I've heard of normal gestations being anywhere from 300-400 days. I use 336 days, or around 11 months.

One of our girls has had healthy, 20lb cria every year, at different gestation lengths. Her 2006 cria was 20.6lbs and 346 days. Her 2007 cria was 19lbs and 351 days. Her 2008 cria was 323 days and 20.4lbs. The first 2 were born on June 6, a year apart, and the last one was born on June 4. This girl's 2006 cria just had her first baby at 360 days, in May. Baby was 16.4lbs.

Then another girl had her first cria at 338 days at 16.7lbs, in July.

With the exception of the cria born this year, all of these cria were born on warm, sunny days. It also doesn't seem that moon phase seems to have anything to do with when a cria is born. Of these 5 cria, they were all born in different moon phases.