1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hay Baler - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a good recipe for scones?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Kitchen Tips' started by Southern by choice, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Jun 5, 2017
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

Anyone have a good recipe for scones?

My favorites are blueberry scones & cherry scones.

I want to make the doe roll, score and freeze.
    I need to make A LOT! LOL

2. Jun 5, 2017
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

No
    That's what bakeries are for

3. Jun 5, 2017
    Southern by choice

LOL
    I am a mooma- everything is better when momma makes it. ;)

I need to make a bunch of food for the boys freezer, easy things they can just throw in the oven.
    Scones would be great!

RollingAcres likes this.
  4. Jun 5, 2017
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

we make scones, got the recipe off a yogurt container- not sure how well the dough would freeze :idunno

5. Jul 7, 2017
    lalabugs

lalabugs Loving the herd life

I just came across this while looking for recipes myself. :) One of my all time favorite websites for recipes is allrecipes.com
    Did a quick search and found this recipe
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/79470/simple-scones/

I have only made fresh sweet potato scones. They turned out amazing. This is not my recipe, i found it online. We loved them though.

Sweet potato scones:
    [​IMG]
    For the Scones:
    • ¾ pound sweet potatoes (about 3 small)
    • 4 cups all-purpose flour
    • ⅔ cup granulated sugar
    • 4½ teaspoons baking powder
    • ¼ teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1 tablespoon-size pieces
    • ½ cup heavy cream
    • ½ cup buttermilk
    For the Maple Cream Glaze:
    • 2 cups powdered sugar
    • ¼ cup pure maple syrup
    • ¼ cup heavy cream
    • Pinch of kosher salt
    • DIRECTIONS:
    1. Make the Scones: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    2. Prick the sweet potatoes all over with the tines of a fork and bake on the prepared pan until tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool to the touch, about 10 minutes.
    3. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, scoop out the flesh into a medium bowl, and lightly mash with a fork. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until cool, at least 20 minutes.
    4. Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
    5. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Use your fingers or a pastry blender to incorporate the butter into the flour mixture until the dough is crumbly and contains lumps the size of small peas.
    6. Add the cooled sweet potatoes and ¼ cup of the heavy cream and lightly stir into the flour mixture. Add the remaining ¼ cup cream and the buttermilk and stir until just mixed. Do not overwork the dough.
    7. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead it a few times until it comes together into a cohesive mass. Lightly coat your hands with flour and gently pat the dough into ¾-inch-thick rectangle (mine was about 11×9 inches in size). Cut the dough into 6 squares, then cut each square on the diagonal to make triangle-shaped scones.
    8. Transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheets and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the scones are a light golden brown. Immediately transfer the scones to a wire rack.
    9. Make the Glaze: In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, maple syrup, heavy cream and salt, until smooth. Add more cream a tablespoon at a time if needed to thin the icing to a drizzling consistency. Drizzle the icing over the warm scones. Serve the scones warm or at room temperature. The scones are best eaten the same day they are made, but can be stored, wrapped in plastic wrap, at room temperature for up to 2 days.

Does anyone have any recipes for nectarines, strawberries & cantaloupe? We purchased A LOT of fruit when we went shopping. Need to use it up before it starts going bad. Just finished using up the cherries in a cobbler, made upside down pear cake. Making skillingsbollers with apples. Need more ideas.

6. Jul 7, 2017
    Southern by choice

love the idea of sweet potato scones! This sounds yummy! :drool

Thanks - I have seen a few of the recipes online... I think that is what I may go with.

Try making fruit pizza...
    or
    I like to cut a bunch up and just keep it in a big bowl and have it for breakfast.

7. Jul 7, 2017
    ragdollcatlady

ragdollcatlady True BYH Addict

A tradition here for christmas morning, is pumpkin chocolate chip scones. Pretty much the same recipe, but replace the potatoes with pureed pumpkin and add chocolate chips.

I can make them the night before or morning of, and that is what we graze on until Papa Murphys take n bake pizza (picked up the day before) all afternoon.... Having a housefull of kids and a long night every christmas eve helping santa assemble all his big gifts, we went for easy meals, coffee and hot chocolate, all day for the holiday....

8. Jul 8, 2017
    Southern by choice

i love pumpkin! Does the chocolate taste good with the pumpkin- sounds strange with chocolate.

9. Jul 8, 2017
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

we found some scone recipes on Pinterest- we saved them so we can try making them :)

10. Jul 8, 2017
    lalabugs

lalabugs Loving the herd life

I'm not sure how the pumpkin & chocolate go together. I have been told that pumpkin and cream cheese are amazing together.

My sister goes to her local pumpkin patch every year the second they open to get some of their homemade pumpkin cream cheese muffins. She says they're to die for. Always says she's going to send some our way. They have not made it past getting in their truck haha.

Growing up I did not have a lot of fresh home made foods. Only when I went to my grandmothers house. Loved her cooking! I am trying to get back to how my grandmother cooked. Grew her own veggies/fruits and canned darn near everything.
    My grandma use to freeze her gumbo. This tasted the same as the day she made it, and the day we reheated it. Thinking of her gumbo. :drool Any good gumbo recipes?

Southern by choice likes this.