Anyone have exp. with treating enteritis

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Four bunnies still holding in there.
I gave one with diarhea some diarhea med and the teeth grinder more gas med.
Since he is a goner for sure I figured I would try giving him a lil tramadole. Its for pain. I found on net that its used for bunnies.
Gave em more probios paste.
Gave the mom a few blackberry leaves to see if she is still into eating. She munched em down.
We will see.
I would take to vet but I already owe a ton on the dog. Ugh

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I won't use the infant tylenol anymore.
I don't know where I got the idea to use it.
My biggest concern is how to prevent this in the first place.
They went from doing fine one day and sick as heck the next.

Gagroundhog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How are your rabbits today? I've been doing some reading and I'm wondering if you are dealing with something like mucoid enteritis or enterotoxemia? I hate to say this, especially today, but the immune systems in your current rabbits may not be good or if these rabbits are carrying a bacterial or viral problem. How many times has this happened? When it happens what does it look like, is it mucousy, watery, sticky? It may not be preventable. Sadly, your best bet may be to start over with new stock if this has been an ongoing repeated issue. The down side is you'd have to dispose of all your rabbits and scrub down all the cages, the bright side is getting some new rabbits and hopefully never having this problem again.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, this is a recurring issue.
Not all litters come down with it but enough that its a headache.
I am thinking I should start over.

All the adult rabbits I have appear healthy. They don't seem to be affected by this disease.

The rex doe I have stressed out when I got her. She had a bout with mucoid enteritis. She pulled thru and is fine now. I'm pretty sure it was the stress of moving from her home to my barn in hot summer. She came from indoor setup to my outdoor setup.

This litter of kits that went south were around seven weeks old.

I have three more litters that are younger by about a month. I do not want to loose them as well.

More cage cleaning.
What do you guys think of if at about four weeks I use corid as a preventative in water?

How long do the rest of you leave the nest box in the cage? I'm wondering if I am messing up here. I have been removing it when they don't seem to need it anymore.

And yes, I went back and tried to verify where I got the info on using the infant pain med and could not find it anywhere. So now I'm thinking that I killed the poor little things. I just hope the remaining bunnies can recover from my attemp at doctoring.

Amy, I am going out there pretty soon to check and see who is still surviving. I plan to give them some hydration fluid. I found the rec. on the net. It has baking soda in it. That is supposed to bring the acid level in the tummies back down. At this point if I don't do anything they are lost. So I must push on. If they look too bad I will just end it.

Thanks

LadyIsabelle2011

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hope they pull through. Since they got sick after getting on the floor I would say it is an issue with the environment where they are being kept. Next time you clean try to cleaning around the outside of the hutches too (not sure if you do this already). It might make a difference in the future.

Gagroundhog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was posting you back and the power went out.............. with our turkey in the oven :barnie Whew! Its back on now! Anyway does your nestboxes have any wood on them? Wood is hard to disinfect. In the winter, I leave boxes in cages longer according to the weather, changing hay when necessary and in summer 3 weeks. I'm not sure how young to give to give Corid to bunnies I'm hoping somebody will have up to date facts on that b/c I don't remember for sure. I hope your other bunnies stay healthy, I gotta go out of town tomorrow, I hope you have a good few days and no more sick bunnies. Amy

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I leave my nestboxes in until 8 weeks or I move them to their own pen. I usually only clean it one time during that period, but do add a little hay here and there. They like to use it and even though it gets a bit dirty I've never had ANY sick babies. I use bermuda grass as bedding and there is no wood in my cages at all.

If your little ones are getting dehydrated you can try giving them sub-q fluids. Go to a vet and describe your situation and tell them you want to buy a bag of lactated ringers and some needles and syringes. You can give them about 3-6 cc's under the skin twice a day and it will really help them from getting so dehydrated.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This litter is a complete wash Im afraid.
I learned a bit though.

Tomorow I will get some corid to have on hand.

Latest posts