anyone having human predators?

bj taylor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
one side of our property is bordered by a railroad. we've started having men riding the rail illegally dropping off onto our property. they're camping and we've found some weapons w/handcuffs. we're dealing with it, but i'm wondering if people are seeing more behavior like this and subsequent loss of livestock?

bj taylor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
we're going to in the morning. don't have much regard for the authorities - but finding a hammer and handcuffs together was pretty disturbing.
i am wondering if people are seeing more stealing of livestock. i've got a few chickens too & i'm not too inclined to share w/uninvited visitors.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My thought is that things are going so swell, that we are going to be seeing alot more of this sort of thing. Keep the rifle handy is all I can say.

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
alsea1 said:
My thought is that things are going so swell, that we are going to be seeing alot more of this sort of thing. Keep the rifle handy is all I can say.
X2

I've also noticed lately (around here atleast) there have been a lot of people talking about their cattle, horses, hogs, etc being stolen and even killed/slaughtered in the pastures. :/ Someone even stole a breeders rabbits the other day. The one that got to me was the cattle being slaughtered and stolen about 30 minutes from my house. Someone said they were targeting smaller farms, like a family farm with a few cows/calves. It got me a little paranoid.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh gosh. That is bad.
Well, if they come for my sheep, they will work for it. My sheeps is a bit wild and will run like hell and jump the fence. I cant even catch em without a well thought out plan. LOL
my rabbits on the other hand . sheesh. Not that would sure make me mad.
My goats would be easy pickens. They think people are food gods.

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A friend of mine went on vacation (gone all of two days and one night) and someone stole her whole herd of goats. Bucks does and babies. all gone. I have someone messing around my barn. I can't catch them but stuff is moved, turned over, "lost" but then turns up later. Fence pulled down --wire on the ground and posts gone, trees the wire was nailed onto cut down and gone. Had a few rabbits and chickens stolen but no goats....yet. Somene keeps turning me into the animal control saying my animals are not being taken care of. Too skinny, not fed, too small of enclosers, not cleaned.... blaa blaa. Animal control comes over checks everything and says everything is fine. Won't tell me who keeps complaining. Things seem better at the barn since I got Drift (who by the way is terrified of strangers) but stuff is happening at the house now. House dogs bark at night. Air let out of my car tires, little gas door on car that is normally locked was open this morning, valve loosened on the propane tank the other day. Stuff missing around the house too. What is wrong with people now days??????

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
treeclimber233 if I were you, I'd put up some trail cameras. If they're starting to mess around your house, I'd be concerned about your safety (and anyone that lives with you!). I'd also be worried about your animals safety.

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There was an article in the Indianapolis news paper a couple weeks ago where a teenage boy went into his neighbors barn and stabbed his goats to death. They caught him by following the trail of blood back to his house. Very disturbing!

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
greenbean said:
treeclimber233 if I were you, I'd put up some trail cameras. If they're starting to mess around your house, I'd be concerned about your safety (and anyone that lives with you!). I'd also be worried about your animals safety.
X2 and get them up before something more serious happens....