1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Making a Pasture -Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone in/around Knoxville, TN?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by RollingAcres, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Apr 17, 2018
    RollingAcres

RollingAcres Loving the herd life

Trying to find out if we have any members in or around Knoxville, TN.
    My job recently have an opening right in Knoxville and I was asked if I'm interested in moving there. I don't think we will buy a house right away if we decide to move. I want to get to know the area first and see what towns are good to live in and have good schools, so we will probably just rent first.
    The town I live in has a population of around 29000 and I live right at the edge of it in the country. It's takes about 15-20 minutes (10 miles) to get right into town. It takes me about 30 minutes(16 miles) to drive to work.
    What are some of the towns 30-40 mins drive from Knoxville that have good schools and are out in the country side?

2. Apr 17, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

I don't live there but have been through there any number of times. As I recall, in 20 minutes time you can be out in the countryside from about anywhere in Knoxville. Can you talk to the relocation folks with your company? Maybe contact some folks with your company there? I guess which direction to go will depend on where in Knoxville your job will physically be located...

RollingAcres likes this.
  3. Apr 18, 2018
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master

I also only know Knoxville from driving there on day trips. I'm just assuming here but I would avoid the area southeast of Knoxville due to the tourist season congestion. You have Sevierville and Pigeon Forge in that area and just going a few miles can be painful when the season is on (which is fairly long anymore). Because of the terrain the cities in Middle Tennessee stop pretty abruptly at town limits. I only live 50 miles from Nashville but you hit 'the country' minutes outside of Franklin.

Latestarter and RollingAcres like this.
  4. Apr 18, 2018
    RollingAcres

@Latestarter & @Mike CHS looks like the office is located about 3 miles from Zoo Knoxville. I've never been to Knoxville so I have no clue about the area, just know that it's a big city. It's like the size of the county I live in! lol

Latestarter likes this.
  5. Apr 19, 2018
    Wehner Homestead

Wehner Homestead True BYH Addict

Been through Knoxville several times on our way to Gatlinburg. I’d follow Mike’s advice on that one!

Knoxville seems like a nice town. Had no issues navigating and had some pretty buildings. I do know that it is home to University of Tennessee Volunteers and when they are playing, there are enough people there to make the whole city move slowly!

Maybe they’d let you go for a quick visit to scope it out?

Latestarter and RollingAcres like this.
  6. Apr 20, 2018
    RollingAcres

We looked into a few things and decided that it won't work out for us at this time. Our house needs to be fixed up first before we can even sell it. We had gutted our upstairs bedrooms with remodeling in mind (work on it little by little ourselves as we have the funds), so that would have to be done first.
    If we move there, I don't want to rush into buying a house without knowing the area first, so we'd probably have to rent. It would be tough to rent with livestock!
    And I'm not really not ready to give up our property! ;)

Latestarter and Wehner Homestead like this.
  7. Apr 20, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Most times when you move with a company, it's at the company's request. Nice that you aren't "forced" to move and can continue to move forward with what you've started there. :)