Anyone Interested? UPDATE - LGD 1st Kidding

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Anyone interested in seeing and understanding introductions of young LGD's going through their first kidding or lambing?
This would include lots of pictures to explain and show proper posturing, some things young dogs do, how this relates etc.

Many do not know what the dog should be doing, whether it is behaving properly , what to correct, certain behaviors, body language, and sometimes something can appear one way yet it is not what the human thinks is going on.

This is a great deal of work to put something like this together and I am not even sure how to put up all the photo series.
The series shows far more than a single snapshot.

We are asked this often as well as we see many that simply do not know if they can trust their dog.

All the dogs are anywhere from 7months- 1year old. These are all YOUNG LGD dogs during their first kiddings.

If enough interest I will compile the info.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
YES. I separate out my does during kidding because I'm not sure about the dogs. Last year a doe kidded earlier than I was expecting. I was not home at the time. When I got home, I found a kid in the loafing stall. The twin was dead and one of my dogs was carrying it. If something happened there, I think it was an accident. I can't see them being aggressive to a newborn... but then i was not there.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Now Southern... really?!?! You have to ASK?!?! How could anyone say no to such a generous offer? You'll have to ad me to the list of YES-es... :clap:thumbsup:bow:D

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely!!!!! :bow:clap:clap

You know, it may help with some of the LGD rescues -- either by adoption from a farm who would learn what to do/expect OR keep them out of rescue by an owner who learns what to do instead of giving up. :love

This would be a true service to dogs & people.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is this spurred on by the stuff going on in the LGD Facebook group?
Why not just do like they are and post videos as well?

I do not do any LGD forums. groups, FBgroup, or any other LGD site.
Loathe them. :somad
Too many people that give novice advice and promote all kinds of counter-productive methods.

You'd be surprised at how many of these people have dogs that have chewed, killed, & chased livestock (to the point of danger)... using shock, drags, bars, and various contraptions on their dogs.

Theses same people BREED their dogs. They don't TRAIN their dogs, they do not know how to read their dogs, they do not build trust with their dogs.

90% of dogs that fail do so because of their owner- that is suppose to be a shepherd- that is suppose to be a partner.

Then you have a few that may give some decent advice but they are so cruel to others that have made mistakes it is sickening.

Repulsive.

Ok.... RANT OVER... :)

@GLENMAR - do you know of any Kuvasz breeders?