Anyone know about "highland " beef cows

crzychicken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
:ya 1st timer in raising beef cows or any cow. I'm looking at a highland and a highland /galloway cross also a galloway /angus cross . I'm looking to raise my own beef for my family. I only have a 3 sided shelter for them, I live in the great state of "Taxachusetts", O I mean Massachusetts lol O how I hate this state, but I live at the family homestead, use to be family farm and I'm trying to bring some of it back. How's the beef from anyone of these breeds or mixed breed
Thank you :bun

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi,
I HAD a highland cow for 2 1/2 years, she was awesome. I now have her cross colf, and he a great too. Temperment wise, excellent. friendliest cattle I have (i have angus and whitface too). VERY hardy in the wonter, a 3 sides shelter should be fine....mine really had a had time with deep snow (over 2 feet) but waited for the other cows to pack it down for her. I would keep an eye on that. Snuffy (cow) would go through electric fence, as she could either not feel it, or not care......but she did only to come to the house and call one of us. If we went out, she would trot back to the fence like "YAY, someone cae out to see me!!".
You really need to be careful of the horns.... no matter how friendly, a cow can accidentaly hurt you even if you are not paying attention. Well, good luck. I'm sure other will chime in. We have highland people and Galloway people on here. :celebrate

Oh yeah......the BEEF IS AWESOME. lean, flavorful. You will love it!!!

crzychicken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the Info yha the horns are mighty long and pointy do they de horn them??

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep, the first Highland steer we ever had, we got when he was 4 months old. Had the vet right out and dehorned him. Kind of bloody, but not too bad. the cows (and bulls) generaly people leave the horns on, as that is part of the breed (long hair, long horns) but you can certainly do whatever you feel comfrtablw with. My cross calf, he is natuarally polled as his sire was a polled hereford. Not sure if it's just luck of the draw, but I am glad. he is a cute, shaggy, easy to handle guy that will be good eats.

crzychicken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How is the beef from a highland what would you compare it with?
I also read on here that belted galloway beef is very good anyone have input on the taste and grade of beef?
taste being the most important.
Grass fed or gain fed beef does it change the taste?
Thank you you all for your help I really need it I'm also trying to teach my 12 year old how to take care of livestock, one never knows when it will come in handy.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, there is a taste difference between grass fed and grain fed. Personally, I prefer the grain fed but, it is a personal choice.

GFG has Belted Galloways. Maybe include them in the subject line to catch her attention.

I commend you for teaching your 12 year old about livestock. It is a good set of lessons to learn.

crzychicken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you :frow I just think It is important that kids know it's not all about them it gives him some basics in life and hard work, my grandparents both had farms I use sooo much of what I learned on their farms just about everyday, that's why it is impotant to pass it on. I cannot belive how many people have NO Clue about farming at all not that I retained all of it but enough to get by and teach my son some of it so maybe oneday he will pass it on also

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My two girls were out in the barn at only a few days old. They are growing up with responsiblities (depending on their age) and I think it's a good lesson for them.

There's also to many people in this world that think their food comes from the grocery store and have no idea where the food came from for the store to have it on their shelves.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
you mean you carried kutes an peanut to the barn in their carrier.my neices an nephews didnt go to the barn till they was walking.