Anyone know what kind of snake this is?

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Placer County, CA. We spotted this little guy/girl last night when we were working near our ditch water pump in the field. We've seen them off and on throughout the years but haven't really been able to figure out what kind they are. We always called them Red Racers, but pictures online don't seem to match. Anyone know what kind of snake this is?

KIMG5838.JPG

Assuming non-venomous due to head shape and lack of biting when picked up. The one last night was shorter than a pencil and probably not even as wide around, although we have seen them a little bigger. Snake was unharmed and we left it in the field.

Kotori

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/snakespics.html

Should be able to help. Solid colored snakes like that are difficult to identify, imo.

ETA: fired this off without looking, but I think Northwestern Gartersnake is a fit. Head is too defined to be any sort of thread snake or rubber boa, plus the subtle countershading.

maybe one of the sharp-tails?

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/snakespics.html

Should be able to help. Solid colored snakes like that are difficult to identify, imo.

ETA: fired this off without looking, but I think Northwestern Gartersnake is a fit. Head is too defined to be any sort of thread snake or rubber boa, plus the subtle countershading.

maybe one of the sharp-tails?
Thanks! I think it's probably the common sharp tail, the other pictures that site has looks like it, kind of faded red.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I used to see similar ones as a kid at my grammas ditch we called em red racers too hahah. We had blue racers too.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Holy cow California has a lot of different snakes. I’m pretty sure the ones we used to catch were all just types of gardener snakes. I’m gonna have to look now.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Huh I don’t know what blue snake we used to catch maybe it was a green racer because apparently Montana doesn’t have blue racers. Funny how I remember them as a blue racer.

Latest posts