Anyone make their own udder cream?

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a doe who needs udder cream all the time, because of how far out in back her udder sticks when it is full, when she squats to pee she ends up peeing down the back of it, so the skin is always getting irritated and flaky. I wash it with soap and water and apply bag balm twice a day at milking, but I like making homemade stuff...does anyone have a recipe for homemade udder cream?

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I wonder if a lip balm recipe would work or modified with a little extra oils that are liquid at room temp to make it a bit softer?

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have not made my own udder cream, however I have made salves before. Would imagine them to be similar. A beeswax base and oil, though to get it to really stick on the udder it will likely need to be thick so heavier on the beeswax. Perhaps some lanolin added - it's a great moisturizer. You'd want healing herbs in it like plantain, calendula, and comfrey. Maybe goldenseal as well.

Here's the ingredients that are in my favorite salve. I haven't made this particular one only because a friend of mine makes these, and I trade with her for things I have. She sell's this one commercially under "Miracle Skin Salve".

coconut oil, olive oil, beeswax, plantain, comfrey root, calendula, propolis, lavendar oil, rosemary oil.

Peppermint is good for circulation, so perhaps a few drops of it added - it's used often for mastitis. Clove is good too (the commercial udder balm I have has clove in it) so maybe a couple drops of it as well.

You can research the herbs that are good, but the ones above are a good place to start.
It's fun creating your own things - and usually LOTS more cost effective. Your initial investment in the herbs and oils might be steep, but you'll be able to make LOADS of the stuff from it.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was thinking of something sort of like lip balm with beeswax (from our beehive) and lanolin and maybe coconut oil, and peppermint for my doe that gets congested, and some other herbs...comfrey would probably be a good one. I was hoping someone had a recipe, but I can always experiment. :)

hillbillycitygirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I use a mixture of coconut oil, lanolin, beeswax (homegrown) and some lavender oil. I make up a new batch about every three days (I only have three goats) and if someone is a bit sick or having any particular problem I add different essential oils.

here is a link to young living's website. just click on each oil and it tells you what it does best. I dont always buy my oils from here, but they do have very high quality oils.

https://www.youngliving.org/US/products.asp