Anyone use this fence

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah a lot of innocent people got screwed by a bunch of uncharged liars and cheats.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was looking to re fence my pastures and fortunately looked at this thread first . I have a question though on woven fence. Is looking at http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Iow...Mugm4EvA6VDgRAwJU-ZDm_xukwLKpFnEvLBoCcAnw_wcB
and couldn't tell the difference between that and https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...Yt3-eExmCkmYvQvTmCEGJs3CMalPojab4sxoCxbzw_wcB
Other than the second is much more expensive and covers much less ground than the first . I will be keeping in primarily sheep but probably also have a goat and a horse as well .

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hard to say @mystang89. There is no description of the cheaper one other than to say it is 12.5 gauge wire. Not even the height near as I can tell. The RedBrand is 2x4 spacing and while it says it is 12.5 gauge wire, the top and bottom wires are 10 gauge. It also comes in 48" and 60".

Another possible difference is that the RedBrand is knotted, meaning the junction of each vertical and horizontal wire is fixed with a piece of wire. The cheap one may be welded at each junction and that is what people are referring to as a weak point. If the welds break, the spacing between the wires can be made larger, break enough of them in the same area and a decent size hole can be opened up.

What is the purpose of your fence? Meaning do you need 2x4 spacing? The RB Sheep and Goat is 4x4 and at TSC costs $280/330' so not at all cheap. They have a 6x6 (I THINK!) spaced knotted fence (same wire) that sells for $150/330' at TSC. That will keep larger animals in place but from what I've read some people have animals that like to get their heads/horns stuck in larger spaced fences. And it won't keep chickens in or foxes out.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first link is woven field fence...if you look at the picture you will notice the bottom holes are much smaller then the top holes. The second link is no-climb style fence which is what people prefer....but may not be in everyones budget.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I thought woven meant knotted and not welded .

Also i can't honestly say that i know what i need . 2x4 would be nice . I can see that , but i don't know if 4x4 would be bad because I've never had sheep , goats or horses . I did read in this thread what you said about getting horns stuck . I was planning on putting a hotwire at the top and one around one level.
The fence comes in 32, 39,and 47 inches . 47" comes to around 160$

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hard to say @mystang89. There is no description of the cheaper one other than to say it is 12.5 gauge wire. Not even the height near as I can tell. The RedBrand is 2x4 spacing and while it says it is 12.5 gauge wire, the top and bottom wires are 10 gauge. It also comes in 48" and 60".

Another possible difference is that the RedBrand is knotted, meaning the junction of each vertical and horizontal wire is fixed with a piece of wire. The cheap one may be welded at each junction and that is what people are referring to as a weak point. If the welds break, the spacing between the wires can be made larger, break enough of them in the same area and a decent size hole can be opened up.

What is the purpose of your fence? Meaning do you need 2x4 spacing? The RB Sheep and Goat is 4x4 and at TSC costs $280/330' so not at all cheap. They have a 6x6 (I THINK!) spaced knotted fence (same wire) that sells for $150/330' at TSC. That will keep larger animals in place but from what I've read some people have animals that like to get their heads/horns stuck in larger spaced fences. And it won't keep chickens in or foxes out.

The cheaper one does have the height there is a drop down it comes in 32, 39, and 47." The cheap one is not welded...woven wire is woven never welded.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thought woven meant knotted and not welded .

Also i can't honestly say that i know what i need . 2x4 would be nice . I can see that , but i don't know if 4x4 would be bad because I've never had sheep , goats or horses . I did read in this thread what you said about getting horns stuck . I was planning on putting a hotwire at the top and one around one level.
The fence comes in 32, 39,and 47 inches . 47" comes to around 160$

i use woven field fence because i could never afford the non-climb fence and so far no major problems. If you plan on not having horned goats/sheep you dont need to worry about their head getting stuck usually

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
i use woven field fence because i could never afford the non-climb fence and so far no major problems. If you plan on not having horned goats/sheep you dont need to worry about their head getting stuck usually
The issue may not apply to mature sheep and goats, but they seem to have lambs and kids and they get into all kinds of mischief.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Horses can hang a hoof in field fence and paw it to pieces. Ask me how I know.... We are using the 2x4 non climb wire. I love the stuff!