Anyone using tattoo pens?

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am trying to decide which tattoo pen to buy and would appreciate any feedback on your favorite one. I also would love to hear advice on ink color and fading. Thanks!

I also appreciate that there is the clamp style and it may work well for you, but I am not a fan and would rather use a pen.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had the EquaTat and then the EquaTaTwo. All are generally the same toothbrush body with motor, but with different ends. I thought of getting a true, human, tattoo kit, but was confused about what all was needed.

Either way, easy to use. Practice on banana skins, they are floppy like a rabbit ear, but differ in how much pressure you need to apply. I didn't find a fruit similar to skin.
I went over my lines a few times to fully saturate and never had one fade to a nonreadable status because of that. I had bought many who only went over once or twice, but never deep enough or rushed it and it was quite faint.

If you butcher rabbits, practice on dead ears. Since there is no fat under the skin, it's a different feel than fruit.

Tat clamps I have read and been told vary greatly in how well the ink embeds and shows.

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I was kind of between the metal head KBtat and the EquaTaTwo. Although I have not done any tattooing before, I tend to adapt quickly to different mediums, techniques, and application instruments being artistic, so I am looking forward to learning how to do this.

I am considering showing and I could not find and mentions of colors being a disqualifying factor, although I saw some mention of green showing up better in dark ears...? I was wondering if I can use a particular color of my choosing and if so, suggestions on what not to use.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would like to piggy back off this thread if it's okay. I went with the KB Tat.
I just got my tattoo pen kit and have been reading on here on how exactly to use it. It seems to be recommended to practice on banana peels.
My question is for anyone that does this on a regular basis and also anyone else new to this:
-Are banana peels an adequate practice tool?
-I don't really want to have to go over it multiple times - how many times did you need to go over the tattoo to make sure it's deep enough?
-Do you recommend tattoo balm (chapstick) to help the pen move more smoothly?
-The last question in the post above wonders about tattoo colors. Can someone address this?
-Anything else you think I would find useful?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Never worked rabbits but, plenty of goats. I used the clamp units and found the green ink just showed better, overall.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would like to piggy back off this thread if it's okay. I went with the KB Tat.
I just got my tattoo pen kit and have been reading on here on how exactly to use it. It seems to be recommended to practice on banana peels.
My question is for anyone that does this on a regular basis and also anyone else new to this:
-Are banana peels an adequate practice tool?
-I don't really want to have to go over it multiple times - how many times did you need to go over the tattoo to make sure it's deep enough?
-Do you recommend tattoo balm (chapstick) to help the pen move more smoothly?
-The last question in the post above wonders about tattoo colors. Can someone address this?
-Anything else you think I would find useful?

It's not about going deeper each pass, its about adding more pinholes with ink in them so you can read it. Think bold instead of deep. Too deep isn't good, too shallow will come out over time.

The more you practice, the less repetitive lines you'll need to do. But also, if you only have one needle, you have to go over it.

I don't remember any of mine having black skin on the inside of the ear, so black ink was visible.

I used very firm bananas, apples, cull ears.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
My tatooo kits both for rabbits and for goats are old manual clamp ones. I also have an old manual tattoo needle that I like - plastic with 3 needles in it. I use it on tattoos that have faded to redo them, Either green or black ink works, I prefer the liquid India ink to the paste ink though.

One thing, Clean the ear with alcohol before tattooing to remove ay skin oil Do not use tattoo balm or chapstick before tattooing. You need a clean skin surface to allow the ink to fill the holes made by the needles. Using an oily substance on the ear first will fill the holes with oil and the ink will not penetrate. If you use the clamp tattoo kit, make sure that the ear holes do not have blood in them before applying the ink Blot the blood first since the ink needs to fill the holes. If you are tattooing small or young rabbits the ear cartilage is very fine and you might get an ear that continues to bleed. Just apply pressure with a paper towel until it stops bleeding then use the ink. Tattoo balm, Vaseline, or Chapstick is applied over the ink to help it set in the ear. I always used vaseline after the ink. If your tattoos become faded you can often hold a flashlight behind the ear to see the original number so you can retattoo.

If you plan to show rabbits either in an ARBA show or Fair meat pens, be sure the tattoos are in the correct ears or you will be disqualified.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have used a tattoo pen, don't remember the brand right now. If you practice on a banana be aware that they don't move, unlike an actual live rabbit who will attempt to jerk their ear away from the crazy human who is messing with it. I had better results using a bunny bag (drawstring bag to contain the rabbit) with only one ear pulled out. If you can, look at the ear in good light before you start and plan the tattoo to avoid the veins in the ear, they are more sensitive there and more potential for bleeding. I've only used black ink and haven't had issues seeing the ink but I haven't had a black bunny yet.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are using a tattoo pen, you should first write the tattoo on the ear using a Sharpie marker. That way you can do it holding the ear up to the light to check for veins. It also gives you something to trace with the pen to make sure the tattoo fits, the digits are the same size, and it's where you want it. Otherwise I have seen people start to freehand the tattoo and accidentally make the numbers so large that a long tattoo number (with your letters and numbers) won't fit on the ear. Big beginning numbers then trailing down to tiny ones as they try to fit it all on. Particularly common on tiny ears like Netherland Dwarf.