Anyone using tattoo pens?

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The clamp type is what we've been using. With green ink that shows up better and the ink is put on the tattoo needles before clamping and then rubbed into the holes after clamping. I must admit that it's not the best system so I'm looking to change over to a tattoo pen, too.

Has anyone tried the type of tattoo needle gun used by folks for doing makeup like eyebrows?

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The clamp type is what we've been using. With green ink that shows up better and the ink is put on the tattoo needles before clamping and then rubbed into the holes after clamping. I must admit that it's not the best system so I'm looking to change over to a tattoo pen, too.

Has anyone tried the type of tattoo needle gun used by folks for doing makeup like eyebrows?
I didnt even think of the make up ones. Im still practicing. Of course I just bred them, so now I dont want to tattoo due to the stress. Im all backwards.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot to tat the doe I was grooming so she could be bred and now that she's with a buck, I don't want to get green ink all over them.

The clamp type only makes so many nail holes per letter and if any of them don't take the ink, it makes it 'interesting' to interpret the tat afterwards. It does entirely pierce the ear, a lot like getting pierced ears except a dozen to two dozen holes all at once. There's a lot of bunnies out there without tattoos because I don't like using the tat clamp. Maybe I'll get a makeup type tat gun and see if it works better.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can buy a manual tattoo needle and try it first to see if you like doing it freehand. It is a lot cheaper than an electric needle. Use a Sharpie to write the letters and numbers in the ear first, then you just trace them with the tattoo pen. Dip the e into the ink before poking it into the ear. It will work well.

I recommend everyone have a manual tattoo needle on hand anyway, because if you need to freshen a tattoo that has faded , it is easier to do it with a manual needle.