Appaloosa "Alias China Doll"

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I posted this on a different forum, but wanted you guys' opinion too!

"What do you guys know about a horse named "Alias China Doll". Someone that I know has just offered her to me because she can't take care of her. She has been sick, and she feels that she should wait a little longer before getting back into horses.

Here is a link to her all breed pedigree page: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/alias+china+doll

And an ad that I found for her: http://www.justappaloosas.com/dec09/02407.htm Not sure when it was posted, but I do know that the lady hasn't advertised her yet. We are becoming good friends, and she wanted me to have first dibs. So this ad must have been posted sometime before she got her.

What can you tell me about her or her background/lineage?

ETA: I just realized that the link says "dec09" so that is probably when it was post."

ChristyMarie82

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The only horse I recognize in her lineage is Three Bars. I've been told that is a great blood line. I had a QH mare for my first horse whose name was Double Easy Bar...and had Three Bars and Easy Jet in her lineage. Good, sensible horse. But, of course, that lineage is so far back...good luck deciding!

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
is she sound? the way she's holding that back leg looks like a typical injury 'protection' stance to me more than just a usual "not standing on up for a good photo" shot.

what are you planning to use her for?

again, it's not a great photo, but she looks a little unbalanced and downhill. :( ..not a huge deal for a pleasure horse, but ... a free horse is not always a bargain. there are a lot of good ones out there if you're looking, shop around until you get a good feel for what you want and whats available.

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
she has a very kind eye. if you're looking for a lightly used pleasure horse, she may be perfect for you.

ChristyMarie82

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She does look a little downhill in that picture...but it also looks like she may be standing on a grade. It's an old picture, I'd definitely get some better pics of her, maybe. My QH mare is blind in one eye, and has a sway back, but she'll be great for trail riding...so, downhill or not...she may be great for you!

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You are looking at a 22yr old horse, so she will have some holes. You are seeing
the results of her life of use, so there is bound to be some wear and tear. She isn't
perfect, but she isn't bad either.

You can ask about any problems she has now, spend some money for a Vet check over
to find long-term problems like heaves, leg injuries, past injuries that would make her
only pasture sound. You want to tell the Vet just how you plan to use her, so s/he can
check to see that she is "servicably sound" for that kind of work. Don't try to expand on her
uses beyond what you tell the Vet. She might not be able to do those other things and
working her could hurt her.

Example would be lots of elderly horses can go trail riding for shorter rides of 5-10 miles,
on fairly nice surfaces. They will walk and trot along, no problems. You and horse have
a good time, maybe have some canter time thrown in too. You would not suddenly decide to
take her for a 15-20 mile ride in the mountains over rocks with no trail. Everyone else is doing
LOTS of canter or gallop work. You would expect her to jump logs to stay up with the others.
That could hurt her pretty bad. Horse not fit, possible older body issues that can't manage such hard
work.

22yrs is not elderly if she has been well taken care of during her life. She could have a
LOT of useful life still ahead, be very able to give you lots of enjoyment with few riding restrictions.
Long life ahead is also why you don't want to take on a horse with severe
problems either. Vet check can help find any issues she has. They can live a long time
and cost you much money to care for in that time. Few folks will actually put a horse
down when it becomes a burden, they keep on paying for an animal they can't use or
enjoy owning. Much better to KNOW what she has before accepting her into the family.

Purchase price of a horse is always the CHEAPEST part of owning them!! It is the "cost of
keeping them" that will hurt your wallet. Possible elderly horse issues that require special
meds which may not be cheap.

She sounds like a nice horse, old enough to be fairly sensible, seen a lot, so you folks can
enjoy her with varied levels of horse skills. Not likely to hurt anyone. And the price sounds
great if you can use and enjoy her. My older horse was quite sound, still was doing gymkahna
games and low jumps, 4-5 mile trail rides at the age of 29yrs. No all old horses are that good, but there is often
quite a bit of use left in older animals. They live longer now, so I don't think 20yrs is in the
elderly dept. if horse has been well cared for. Horses USED to be old at 15-18yrs, before the
good wormers and more modern meds. Now that age is just a bit past prime of life!!

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey guys...

Thanks for all the helpful pointers! We decided not to bring her home after all... We decided that we didn't really have the extra room for another horse, and that it wouldn't be fair to her. That you, though! I will keep that in mind when we are looking for another horse.