Appaloosa pony foal

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The reason ponies get bad raps is because of ponies like the ones at that Therapeutic Riding Stable I worked at for a whole one day. They were bad tempered. They would bite and kick and chase you off if you came to grab their halter while they were eating. They would kick and bite at you when you went into the field. They were not safe, but people let them get away with that attitude which creates bigger problems.

I won't lie, my pony can be very bad tempered, she's 14hh and she is as stubborn as a mule, she will NOT walk forward. She knows I'll give up because I don't want to get run over or bitten and IMO I think it's due in part to the state of her back legs and her issues with mobility BUT she KNOWS she can get away with not moving.

She's going to get quite the wake up call in the spring though ;) Hehehe... My trainer is coming down to work with Mylie and has assured me that Luna will be walking forward and behaving in under a month (seriously, this lady just has to look at a horse and it will all of a sudden be broke to ride LOLOL).

smoothmule

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The biggest issue to overcome for ponies is that many of them were broke to ride then handed over to children without supervision. They learned to out wit most kids pretty quickly and learned they could get away with most anything and bad habits are so much more difficult to break than the good ones. Children can be pretty destructive to ponies that way but it's not their fault either, there should be close supervision by an adult with some knowledge about equines or else they can can be just as destructive to the pony. (IMHO)

Ponies in a great program for children that are trained by adults who also supervise and teach the kids are absolutely priceless. The sad thing is that most ponies could fit into that category if handled right from the beginning.

I will be working with a neighbor that has a 4H group of girls with ponies. We hope to make a difference and get the girls and their ponies started off right this spring.

(Very cute ponies posted here by the way ;) )

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
love my ponies. can't ride anymore, so have my herd of ponies, 3 welsh mares, a roan shetland a bay shetland, and a large hackney and a mini mare. they are running with a classy solid poa stallion with a pleasure horse build. also have 2 foals from this spring, a mini and a 1/2 welsh 1/2 quarter colt. they all are gentle, no kicking in my direction, or pushy attitudes, i just don't permit it!!!