Apple Cider Vinegar To Alter Sex Ratio

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I read an article a while back that I was very interested in. I cant find that exact article but I have read in several places on the internet that by giving ACV to sheep before breeding it will increase the amounts of ewe lambs born. I am desperate for something to try because last year I had about 80% ram lambs born. I need the ewes very badly.

I was wondering if any of you have tried this. I assume you give the ACV to the rams only since they determine the sex of the lamb. Do any of you know the dosage if mixing with water? I would also be interested in any links any of you have found.

Thanks Ahead of time

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
We drench our sheep monthly...all of them with apple cider vinegar and garlic barrier...our ewe to ram lamb ratio hasn't really been affected...last year it was more rams and this year more ewes...all had apple cider vinegar in their drenches monthly...ewes and ram...we do it for preventing worms, but read that link that Remuda put up and I see that there are lots of good benefits for sheep using apple cider vinegar including coping with the heat better.

Pretty good for people too...just not with the garlic barrier...I like garlic, but this stuff is way powerful and my whole kitchen reeks for a few hours when I mix up their drench cocktail :sick

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Remuda that was exactly the article i was wanting. Thank you so much.

BonBean- I think I am willing to try using the ACV monthly on my sheep. I do not think I will want to drench them I would prefer to mix it in their water.

I am planning on breeding ewes September 1st so I think it is too late for the ACV to have any effects on this breeding but next year maybe I can tell a difference.

I am trying to decide whether or not I want to flush my ewes this year. Last year I did it, and did not have the results I was expecting. I think the problem is that most of my ewes are in good condition already and that the flushing does not really affect them in any way. Plus, I have several yearlings and they are said to not be affected either.
I just keep thinking that if even one extra lamb was born that it would be worth it but that is a lot of feed not have any results.

Is there any use in flushing 4 weeks before breeding?
I am already going to use the ram effect hopefully. I am going and getting a nice ram and keeping him separate for 3 weeks then introducing him to the ewes

Thank you all for the help

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boykin, I hope that adding ACV works for you in their drinking water. My spoiled rotten sheep would not drink it with that in there even in this heat...I ended up having to drain it all out, and refill with plain water and they were thirsty! Hope yours go for it.

Years ago when I had horses and there were so many biting flies, my Dad suggested putting a little in their drinking water...same thing...they wouldn't touch it.

This was using very little ACV in the water both times...guess my critters are just too picky :p

cedarcurve

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If I told you, and published an article about removing the left testicle of my rams, b/c it produced 90% ram semen, whereas the right testicle produced 90% female semen-- would you do it.

You can't believe everything you read, or hear.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just google apple cider vinegar benefits for sheep...you will get more information than you can digest Cedar...I am a firm believer of ACV benefits for sheep and people and probably other livestock also, but have only checked out sheep.

I wouldn't pooh pooh something before fully researching it...just my two cents worth :p

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So this has nothing to do with sheep.... But it does have to do with ACV. The way I happened to come across that article had nothing to do with sheep either :). I've got an old bob tailed cat, he had to go to the hospital because of urinary tract problems. He had lots of crystals and stones in him so they cathed him to try to open him up. I didn't think he was going to make it. So.... OF COURSE, I came home and researched the air out of it. What I found shocked me. The vets office had sent me home with a prescription dry food for urinary health. Once he was home I could not see any improvement in him.

What I found in my research was that these cats should never eat dry cat food and that there were countless testimonials on countless forums from people that started adding ACV to their cats diets. I first tried it in his water..... No dice. So since I had started him on a canned food anyway (that by itself did not seem to help him either), I just started adding a cap full to his breakfast and dinner. I know it'll sound nuts, but the effects were immediate and amazing. He's been on it for over a year and has had no further problems. Everytime I am in the vets office, they ask about him and can't believe how well he's doing. He's even lost about two pounds which he really needed to do.

LOL, anyway that's how I came across that article and while I can't say from experience that it works for sexing lambs, it definitely has its benefits. While I don't think you can believe everything you read, that's a pretty well respected magazine and I think they would not lightly publish something that was nothing but bunk.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad it worked for your cat! One thing about that article (and others I've read) give many benefits for apple cider vinegar...critters and people. I'm big into probiotics too...so have a yogurt maker and grow cabbage for sauerkraut too.

Read several sites that did say the ACV altered the sex ratio of lambs, but we haven't seen that here....maybe they need a bigger dose than what we give them?

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've heard that it's an old wives tale and doesn't really work. I have no clue firsthand though. I would try it; it's supposed to be very healthy for them anyway! :)

Latest posts