Applying ear tags

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
kfacres said:
SheepGirl said:
I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but I just tagged my lambs yesterday...I didn't bother putting farm tags in, just the scrapie tags.

before
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/4485_dscn3065.jpg

after
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/4485_dscn3066.jpg
this scrapie tag is not supposed to be used anymore-- I think you'd might find yourself not able to order them anymore. I've been as far as to have a state vet tell me they no longer are an except able form of identification in the scrapie program.

it is the correct tag placement though.
My sheep live at my neighbor's house and so these are his tags...he ordered them back in like 2002 or 2003. So they are really old, and no, I don't think they make this style Scrapie tag anymore, either. (They're made by Premier.) I have had my sheep tagged with these since we don't have any other form of Scrapie tags for them and they have been allowed into fairs and petting zoos, so they are still good I would think. But we're in Maryland so it may be different state-to-state. But I figured it has the premises ID and an individual ID, so it's still good.

But when my sheep move to my house by June 8 (my neighbor sold his farm), I will get my own premises ID and then get my own new tags to tag my future sheep (and my current sheep if this type of tag is no longer valid).

But thanks, I will look more into the MD tag laws....I didn't know that there had to be a specific type of tag...just thought that as long as it had the premises and individual IDs were okay, you'd be okay. Hopefully they won't change the tag style requirements in another 10 years after I get my tags lol.
That is the kind of tags we are still using, Like you, we haven't ordered new tags in a while. We haven't had problems with the fair or stockyards complaining about them.

edited: I called and ordered new ones, the guy didn't seem to know anything about the older plastic style ones, but said you could choose between the metal clamp ones and the plastic bell shaped ones, so I ordered 200 bell shaped tags. It was easy to do, he said they would be here in 2 weeks.