Applying ear tags

kfacres

Reaction score
Southdown said:
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/5960_100_0759.jpg
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/5960_100_0767.jpg

Only one bled, it was my favorite ewe lamb in the top photo. I'm not sure why because I did the same spot on everyone. I went in between the middle and top cartilage line and close to the head. It looks as good as I can do. My first one I did was not as close to the head as I wanted, but he is a Suffolk cross and has bigger ears anyway.
this tag is in the wrong spot-- you are one vein too high. EARTAGS SHOULD NEVER BE VISIBLE FROM THE TOPSIDE OF THE EAR- THAT SPOT JUST SCREAMS INFECTION. They should hang DOWN, and move freely.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Southdown, we seem to be doing the same things just weeks apart...with the same breed of sheep! :D
I only plan on tagging sheep that leave my farm, though. Two of my breeders had their tags ripped out, only Ms. #8 has hers still in, thus the name and why I won't tag sheep that stay.

I would say the tag is on backwards as well, don't know if there is a set place, front or back of the ear. Can't find any info on it.

kfacres

Reaction score
secuono said:
Southdown, we seem to be doing the same things just weeks apart...with the same breed of sheep! :D
I only plan on tagging sheep that leave my farm, though. Two of my breeders had their tags ripped out, only Ms. #8 has hers still in, thus the name and why I won't tag sheep that stay.

I would say the tag is on backwards as well, don't know if there is a set place, front or back of the ear. Can't find any info on it.
tag not backwards-- I don't think eartags have a front/ back-- unless you specify.. This tag is a scrapie tag- and i know they don't have a front/ back...

I'm referring to it's location in the ear...

kfacres

Reaction score
secuono said:
I did not say front or back of the tag.
I said front or back of the ear.
You said "EARTAGS SHOULD NEVER BE VISIBLE FROM THE TOPSIDE OF THE EAR- "
explain?

are we in agreeing, or argument?

I always thought that all ear tags must be visible from both the front and back- they are two piece systems (except for the no snag- Z-tag, and the slip ins like we use).

PS. yes, if you look at a sheep- and stand directly above it- and look down on it- towards the ground- you should not ever be able to see the eartag- except maybe on the backside (rear) of the ear.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Scrapie tags have a triangle and then a cap. Cap is on the back of the ear, triangle on the front. Just like a human ear's earring, only the front, inside of the ear is where the tag is visible.

The pics Southdown posted, in the 1st, the triangle is on the back of the ear. I think we are both agreeing that is the wrong place for it.
2nd pic shows the correct side of the ear.

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's a two piece system, so that there is a triangle on both the front and back of the ear. One photo shows the back of an ear and the other photo shows the front of an ear. I've looked at some other breeders of Babydolls and noticed that their ear tags are placed high so that they don't hang lower than the ear. (The whole triangle will be within the ear.) I was trying to mimic that as I think it looks nicer. If I were to tag in between the middle and lower vein, the result would be the triangular tag hanging lower than the ear itself. Why will this be a source of infection since I tagged in the higher spot? I think if you were doing the rectangular closed tags, then you would have to pierce in the lower area.

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
secuono said:

Do you tag the ewes that you register though? I would prefer not to tag, but on the Babydoll registration paper it requires an ear tag #. I wonder if most people are just writing a number down, but not actually putting them in. When we got our ram with his papers, he had an ear tag number on the paper, but no actual ear tag in place. I should put up a photo of another babydoll's ear tag. I bought 3 ewes last year that had the tags put in my someone else. I was looking at them for comparison.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where did you get the tags from? Maybe the ones from the Scrapie place are only one sided, mine are only one.
Sorry, didn't know they came so different.

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
5960_100_0038.jpg

This ewe I bought and she was already tagged in both ears. This breeder has them high and close to the head, so they sit within the borders of the ears. I liked this look better than having them hang down. If you were to see the back side of her ears, it is identical to the front. The triangle is the same on the back as well, so it can be read from either front or behind. On the scrapies tags, the post on one tag pushes into and locks into the other triangle, locking the two pieces together. It is definitely a bulky tag, but then again, it is easier to read from a distance.