Approved!

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm doing a happy dance over here as I just got a letter from the city approving my application for backyard goats and chickens!

:celebrate :weee

I can have 3 goats and 10 chickens!

Now I need to save up for the animals, feed, etc. Might take me a few months but my dream feels closer to reality!

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is soooooo AWESOME!!!!!! :celebrate

What breed of goats are you going to go with???

Quiet ones. ;)

Our dog vet is also a goat vet. Just met with her yesterday for pup's shots, etc. and got to talking about goats. She suggested horned, Nigerian does. However, I have to watch out for the noise ordinance and I've heard Nigies can be loud(er) goats. Smaller goats would be better for our 3,000 sq. ft. backyard but...I'd love to find some LaManchas. Maybe Mini-Manchas...

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I asked the same thing. I've read enough here to know I DON'T want horns on my goats.

The vet said goats "should have horns so they can protect themselves from predators."

I mentioned children accidentally getting stabbed and that I have little kids (whom I don't want losing an eye) and she said "kids have been around horned goats for centuries."

:hu

I don't agree 100% with her goaty viewpoints but I'm thankful to have a vet who can be there in case of emergency, etc.

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
What complete nonsense!
"kids have been around horned goats for centuries."
:rant:somad:he What the hell kinda answer is that? Horned goats have been getting eaten by LOTS of animals for millennia! Goats with horns are NOT going to stop your neighbor's dog from taking it down and making a snack of it. Don't believe me? There are plenty of examples you can read about right here on this site! A 50 pound goat even with horns is no match for a 50 pound rottie, German Shepherd, pit bull, etc. etc. etc. You have small kids, get de-horned goats! rant over

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
BTW... Very happy you got your approval! Congrats! I can imagine your excitement! :celebrate:weee:clap

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I asked the same thing. I've read enough here to know I DON'T want horns on my goats.

The vet said goats "should have horns so they can protect themselves from predators."

I mentioned children accidentally getting stabbed and that I have little kids (whom I don't want losing an eye) and she said "kids have been around horned goats for centuries."

:hu

I don't agree 100% with her goaty viewpoints but I'm thankful to have a vet who can be there in case of emergency, etc.

Find another vet that actually knows something about livestock. Geesh. Or just find others, mentors etc that will teach disbudding etc.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Horns are no no no no!!!! Determined coyote make short work on goat! Especially around children I would not have horned goats.

All goats make noise. An individual of any breed can be insecure screamer. Go hang out with different breeds and get what you enjoy looking at. If you plan on breeding you want to find some one close to buy from that would be ok with your bringing them back to breed.

Check www.adga.org to find goat club in your area. Fall fair show season is coming up and can be a good way to meet breeders and see goats. Do your homework this fall and winter to be ready to buy next spring. That is when animals are most readily available.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm going to chime in on this because I am in a situation with this right now. :\

I have Tabby a 7-month old kiko mix doe with horns... NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!! She is the only doe in my herd right now with horns and I'm in constant threat of everything I do with her around. I am really regretting letting her stayed horned.

I can't grab her collar without getting poked, I can't bend down without being worried about a poke in the face, I'm always trying to make sure I'm not in her way of running, It is just a none stop threat of being worried.

I do get worried about the children being the pen with her and for there safety and everyone else I will NEVER again owner a horned goat. Unless a meat goat.

And on the fact of people owning goats for thousand of years with horns doesn't mean no one got an missing eye or poke in the shoulder from them... In my mind it is like saying people have been climbing mountains for thousands of year, well, it still doesn't mean many people have gotten hurt and die.

Latest posts