Arabian Stallian with blue eyes

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The farm broadcaster had an interview this morning with the owner of Arabian race horses. She has a 3 yr old Stallion pure bred Arabian Stallion with two blue eyes and black markings around the eyes. She had him at the horse fair here in WI a little while back.

Apparently this is a trait common in Avaro (sp?) Paint except they usually have pink around the eyes. His mother has one blue eye so the Avaro is in her background.

As far as they know, he is the only pure bred Arabian in the world with two blue eyes.

Owner: Pamela Fullerton of Resolute Racing in Athens, WI
Horse's name: Ice Man

Has anyone heard of him?

appytaz

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am a little confused :/

How can he be a pure Arabian if his dam has Overo Paint in her? :idunno

I am interested in hearing what others have to say.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Apparently not the paint just the Overo pattern. :idunno Something about the pattern being most common in the paint but, that it can happen in Arabians? I'm not familar with horse traits so, I'm wondering about it too.

Carri

Just born
Reaction score
My understanding is that only Appys and Paints carry that gene. :idunno That would be pretty amazing if he is, in fact, 100% Arab with no other breed mixed in.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This is what I could dig up, thought it was interesting. at the bottom of my post, there is a link to a site that has purebred sabino and splash and overo arabs. They are neat, but they certainly don't float my boat. Not what I think of, when I think Arab.

Any excuse to surf the net on my pet breed. That led me to the sabino gene and these horses
http://www.sabinoarabs.com/
Then I called an Arab judge and historian in Australia. She has seen a very few blue-eyed purebreds; in each case, there was a baldy face where the white marking included the eye. The blue eye would not therefore be downgraded, but she agreed with me that it, along with the pink nose, was an undesirable trait in our environment.

http://www.shatormararabians.com/moonlightmoneymaker.html

Draven

Just born
Reaction score
Your friends Arabian is definitely not the only Arabian with two blue eyes. The gene that causes the wild/extra white markings ( and rarely blue eyes ) in purebred Arabians is the Sabino/Splash gene. There is a black blue eyed Arabian stallion named Moonlight Money Maker who, according to his owners, is one of only four blue eyed Black purebred Arabians ( his grandsire, his sire, himself, and his daughter ). Also, according to the website, he has sired 83% blue eyed Splash foals.

http://www.shatormararabians.com/moonlightmoneymaker.html

MoonlightMoneyMaker2.jpg

MoonlightMoneyMaker.jpg

Despite the fact that he really lacks a lot of Arabian type, some of his foals have actually turned out pretty nice but thats a whole different conversation.

Here are two of my favorite Moonlight Money Maker foals ( both have two blue eyes )

crystal_june18_2005_057.jpg

sunshinefilly_aug4_2005_3.jpg

There are a few really nice Sabino stallions out there though. One of my personal favorites is Khartoon Khlassic.

KhartoonKhlassic.jpg

Here is one of Khartoon's sons

WAOUtrageous2.jpg

I have a minimal Sabino mare ( she has a wide blaze, chin white, two spots on her back, belly roaning, three white legs and a large patch over her right front knee ) that I would really like to breed but I haven't found the right stallion yet. I want quality and color.

I am a huge fan of Sabino Arabians so this topic was right up my alley. I have plenty more pictures if you would like to see more.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome to the herd!

They are beautiful.

Not a friend, just someone the farm broadcaster had interviewed at the horse show.

Draven

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome. Sorry I misunderstood your post. I wish you had a photo of the horse you are talking about. Do you remember what his name was?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Draven said:
Thanks for the warm welcome. Sorry I misunderstood your post. I wish you had a photo of the horse you are talking about. Do you remember what his name was?
All the info I have is in the first post--including his name.

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've seen blue eyed arabians, there are different types of pinto patterns, I "think" the only one arabians can't be is tobiano. I think Sabino is the more common one you see in arabians, and I think they are more likely to have color around the eyes, rather then the bold face like splash and frame (not sure arabians come in frame). I don't really like sabino as much as some of the other patterns, I like the cleaner looking patterns!

There are alot of bold faced blue eyed horses, but blue eyes w/ color aren't really that uncommon either. I do like the blue eyes surrouded by color best. Paints are my breed, so I love any kind of color! I also like the pinto minis best! I would really love to someday have a splash!