Arabian Stallian with blue eyes

BDial

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
BDial said:
One of the prejudice against the pinto coloring was because my ancestors loved loud colored horses. They were indian ponies and not good enough for the American people to ride...
That surprises me--I remember reading accounts of preferred paint horses in other parts of the world. I know that there is a spotted breed that hails from Northern Europe--NOT Appalousa, but something like a big, brown Dalmatian.

I had a problem with the thread because I had seen lots of ads for Pintabians which were 1/2 Arab or maybe 3/4 Arab but never purebred Arab. I have not had a real need for a paint, BUT our favorite Pone/horse was a big barrelled, 13.2hh tobiano, with great big spots and 2 blue eyes. Many non-horsey people asked if he was blind! ?!?!?!? whatever....

I DO know that so many people want a paint for the show ring, (to stand out,) then find themselves in the ring with a full house of other paints!

SOMEHOW, the Egyptian Arab has the genetics to improve other breeds. To do so, the breed must be bred to the same breed. If this stallion is a Polish Arab, I could certainly understand, because all of my research suggests that Polish Arabs are slightly outcrossed already.

I NEVER dismiss a horse because of color. TO me it is the LEAST important reason to buy, and color does not affect temperament. I also am not a purist when it comes to breed. I loved my Arab (27 years old this year--RIP) and I know that there is another one in my future. I know that there's another paint in my future, too. I am always willing to look at good horse, irrespective of lineage and coat color.
Now days it is a lot better but there are still those that don't like the chrome. Prob because that "isn't the color they are supposed to be".

BDial

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry temp thread hijack

They have really good feet. My girl doesnt were shoes. the farrier compares them to a donkeys feet. If you ever come over my way you can see my girl.

joletabey

Just born
Reaction score
The only reason I can think of for people to be against chrome is the white hoof that goes with it, that can SOMETIMES be "softer" than dark hooves. I am trying to think if I know of any real proof of that. . . I don't think any of my horses had any differences.
Khemosabi and Padron both somewhat helped changed the prejudice against chrome in the Arab world. I agree with some of the above posters- if its a good horse, then the color is like icing on the cake.

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know that there is a spotted breed that hails from Northern Europe--NOT Appalousa, but something like a big, brown Dalmatian.
You may be referring to Knabstruppers.

Here is a good article about Knabstruppers . I have a friend who breeds them here in Virginia (these are her horses in the photos).

Okay, sorry for the hijack. :)

Stauffer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
LauraM pointed me to this thread. I think because I love equine color genetics...lol

Pure Arabians CAN come in sabino overo or splash white overo. Moonlight Money Maker is a splash white overo. Khartoon Khlassic is another splash white overo. I don't believe Frame Overo or Dominant White exist in Arabians(but they do in thoroughbreds, as well as the sabino overo and splash white overo) and tobiano for SURE does not exist in arabians.

Some of these pinto patterns can stay VERY hidden for generations. I've seen a solid colored mini horse with a half blue eye test positive for the frame overo gene.

I've seen two "normal" looking quarter horses--sorrel with normal ol' blazes and a couple of low socks through a very loudly marked foal--Dominant White (for an example--look at the now deceased GQ Santana)

check out how minimal some of these markings are on a splash white overo on these morgans: http://www.morgancolors.com/splashwhite.htm

Sabino can be just a face marking and some leg markings and that is it...and one day you cross two and you might get a belly spot or more.

There is a theory that blue eyes are only caused by Splash White Overo and Frame Overo--not sabino or tobiano. If this is true, then The Iceman would be a splash white overo.

Most arabian breeders do not recognize splash white overo and tend to lump it under sabino overo.

also on the appaloosa spotting thing...it's called the Leopard Complex, or LP, usually...because more breeds than just the appaloosa have it :) It can be found in Knabstruppers, like LauraM mentioned, as well as it has been seen in three thousand plus year old Chinese paintings--so it was found in Asian breeds as well. I've seen it in Spanish breeds. The Altai is another LP spotted breed. I'm sure there are more that have not derived from the Appaloosa as well...and I can find out if anyone is interested.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
joletabey said:
There are several people breeding specifically for "pinto" Arabians, and I think they are referred to as Pintabians.
Try googling it, as I can't remember any of the farm names. Khartoon Khlassic is a lovely horse, and a lot of the Khemosabi kids had a lot of white- belly spots were common, as I recall.
Actually, a Pintabian is a pinto/Arab cross, that is almost all Arab. They're usually 80% or more Arab I think, but they cannot be registered as a purebred Arab, at least not for many, many, many generations, as you can never 100% breed out the outside influence. The Arab registry is very particular about registrations...I could not get them to register my half-Arab mare because her sire was a feral horse. (Mare in a rural area accidentally bred by a mustang stallion)

There are many different 'types' of Arab, including Egyptian, Polish, Russian, and Crabbet. They are all purebred, but were selected for different looks/uses. So the Egyptian tends to be a very small, delicate looking horse, while the Polish is a bit bigger and stockier, and the Russians I've seen tend to be very tall and leggy racehorse types, almost like a Thoroughbred. They have not had any other breed crossed with them in a very long time, they were just selected from within the breed to create those types that fit individual tastes.

Sabino is not all that unusual in Arabs, it just goes unnoticed a lot because the markings can be as minimal as a white blaze that goes down over the chin, or a couple of stockings that extend higher than usual.

I really like a dark colored Arab with a good amount of white, I find it very attractive. But that's just my taste.

And yes, there are purebred pinto Thoroughbreds. I've seen some, even on the racetrack. It's a throwback to way back before the studbook was closed; the animals used to make the modern Thoroughbred were all sorts of colors.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bumping this thread because I met the horse's trainer this weekend. They have branched into endurance and competitive trail.

Latest posts