Are milk veins a valid sign of imminent birth in llamas?

Libellula

Just born
Reaction score
I am a newby from France. I have had llamas around me for 25 years, but never any females. Now, since the death of my old gelding at 25 years old, i was left with his companion female, and quickly acquired two more females, both pregnant. One is due on the 18th March so have been reading all about birthing, and Peaches and Lorenzo's stories on here.

I want to thank you all on here for helping me to learn so much in a short space of time. I feel much more able to face the upcoming births with all this information. I still have a lot of reading to do on here and elsewhere.

I have put together a birthing kit for emergencies, and am keeping a daily diary of Daphnee's progress, even though not much is happening.

Miranda, the other pregnant female is not due until the end of April, the previous owner thinks?!

Daphnee whose due date is 18 March, has a very prominent "milk vein" on her left side, but no real change in her nipples. Is the appearance of this vein a reliable clue that birthing is close? If so, I could apply this to Miranda.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
No, that isn't reliable. Llamas can give birth anywhere from 11-12 months. So usually due dates are at the 11 month mark but you can ask the former owner if they go with the 11 month due date or 11.5 due date. Llamas give very few signs that they will go. When they are actually in labor you will know. Good luck with birthing!

Libellula

Just born
Reaction score
Still waiting for both llamas to produce. I have been watching the milk veins for a few days now and note that they come and go, some days more prominent than others, so I am waiting for more positive signs.....like two feet and a nose!!