Are Muscovy Ducklings Sex-Linked?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have 8 Muscovy ducklings that hatched Wednesday and Thursday. Four are yellow with slightly darker tails and four are dark with yellow fronts. Here's a couple not so good pictures:

P1000795.jpeg
P1000798.jpeg

Is there anything significant about the coloration on the ducklings? The hen is mostly dark, as you can see and the drake is dark with a pied head.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Muscovies come in so many different colors that the ducklings show different shades of coloring. I have never heard that they are sex linked.

boothcreek

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Only time Muscovy ducklings are sexlinked is when you breed a double factor chocolate hen to a pure black(no chocolate gene) male, your female ducklings will be single factor chocolates and the males will be black carrying chocolate. You get the same out-come the other way around (choc male over black female).
But for that you have to be 100% on the parents heritage, if you breed to a single factor choc hen or a already split to chocolate drake, that will throw off the whole works.

As for your ducklings, I would say either momma or daddy is a barred(yellow ducklings with smoky tails and blue beaks). They will colour out at first barred(black would be my guess), then feather out into solid colour when older.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
@boothcreek, thanks for the info. Yes the ducklings are barred. It will be interesting to see them becoming adults, and I will miss the barring. Regardless as to how they look I am finding them very entertaining with distinct personalities.