Are my buns to closely related to breed?

LaylaRose

Just born
Reaction score
So I purchased a Holland Lop doe last year with plans on purchasing a buck later on. The breeder I got my doe from is getting out of the rabbit business and offered to give me one.
My brother picked him up because it’s a bit of a drive and he was headed that direction anyways, and she emailed me his papers. When I got to looking at them I realized that my doe is his full aunt (as in his dam is the full sibling to her). Messaged the breeder, she is completely out of bucks now, and she says it’s fine to breed them because they aren’t siblings. I know line breeding is a thing, and I’m 99% sure they aren’t close enough to have any genetic issues caused by inbreeding, but I wanted some other opinions on whether or not this would be considered ‘ethical’ or if I should just sell him and use the money to buy a different buck.
(The issue with doing the latter is im having a hard time finding a breeder semi close to me that doesn’t either have a waitlist a mile or hasn’t updated their website/socials since like 2014)

Tiny Tails Rabbitry 101

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Definintly do not sell him if you are happy with him. Do not worry about it being too close. I bred a doe with her dad and the babies are just fine. Inbreeding is 100% normal! Good luck with your rabbit breeding journey!