Are My Does Pregnant?

Goatzilla

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I palpate all of my does at 12 to 14 days. If done gently and properly, it stresses the does very little, if at all. I have raised rabbits both for meat production and for show. If you can tell for certain that a doe is pregnant at 14 days, you save a lot of valuable time, and can re-breed rather than wait out the whole 31 days. If you want maximum, efficient production out of your rabbits, palpating is a must.

It requires patience and practice, but once you know what and where to look for, and find the "marbles" for the first time, you will be amazed.

I place the doe in front of me, facing directly toward me, and reach my hand under her between her forelegs, then I gently reach up and back gently squeezing my thumb and index and middle fingertips together. You have to almost visualize what you are feeling, and sort of feel up and above the internal organs. The little round fetuses are arranged in almost a straight line, toward the top of the stomach area, and just below the underside of the spine. If the doe tightens up her stomach muscles, back off a little, and wait for her to relax and try again. It takes some getting used to and practice, but once you "get it" you will be able to do it with great accuracy every time.

Hope this helps someone. It's pretty hard to describe the tecnique in written words, and far easier to demonstrate to someone with a pregnant doe.

popcornchicken

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Another way we were told,,,

Take your doe back to the buck 4-5 days after "the deed":D was done and if she doesn't have anything to do with him, you can pretty much bet "the deed" was indeed done.:celebrate . But other than feeling for the "marbles" I don't know of anything else. Better luck next time:fl

JoieDeViveRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Goatzilla this is a GREAT description of Palpating, probably the best I've ever read, about the placement of fetues in a line, and being just below the underside of the spine, etc. You can see it the way you describe it and many people have tried, and failed, to do that with words online and in books.

I like bringing my doe back to my buck 12 hours after the deed and if she tries to kill him, then she's usually pregnant. I always love watching the look of shock on the first time sires who the day before had an amerous mate who was "easy" turn into Cujo! Cracks me up!

Also lots of people weigh their does to determine pregnancy. If you weigh the day of breeding and again in three weeks, their will be an increase in weight if the doe is pregnant. Moreso with a larger litter.

Latest posts