Are rabbits social?

Dogsincharge

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was curious since I have never owned rabbits and wanted to learn more about them. I have been around pet rabbits before in pet stores etc.. and they seemed to be more of a skittish type, and tend to back or run from you. Does it depend on the breed? I know they probably would of course be skittish at first but can you socialize these animals? I think they are really cute and would think of getting one if I learned more about them. Any answers are helpful.

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Rabbits tend to be skittish because their best and first defense is to run away and hide. They tolerate being picked up, but I would not say that they enjoy it, because they are ground animal whose best and first defense is to run away and hide. I repeated that on purpose because if you understand their natural instincts, you can be realistic about rabbits and enjoy them for the animal they are.

Rabbits also can and will bite (as will any animal with teeth). However, it is their back legs and nails that will do a person the worse damage. Their nails should be kept trim for health reasons, both the rabbit's and yours.

Having mentioned their bad side, there is much to love about them. Rabbits are very curious creatures when they feel safe. They explore...a lot. They will get to know you. They will approach you just because....

Rabbits instinctively are not fond having things approach them particularly from above or behind, like when you try to pet them or pick them up, because they are a prey animal, so the less you seem like a predator to them, the sooner they will get used to you and feel safe...they will eventually enjoy being petted. If you pick them up and carry them often, they will either come to trust you when being held or never really will.

I enjoy rabbits and they are sociable and playful and funny, but even though I handle my rabbits nearly every day, they still run to the back of the cage if they think I plan to pick them up. After I put them back into the cage, they are all over me because they think I will not be picking them up again.

If I was looking for a pet knowing what I know now, I would not buy one from a pet store and look for a breeder of the smaller breeds, because a good breeder will help educate you. Plus, it is much easier to handle a small rabbit and it will always have a cute bunny look.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Breeds do have different personalities. Most of my velveteen lops are naturally curious and not so skittish though in general rabbits aren't "cuddly" so still can kick if frightened or object to handling. They like things on their own terms more cat like than dog but as a prey animal over a predator.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Rabbits can also be territorial. They like their own cage.

M Claire

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
In our small herd, most of the rabbits are more curious than skittish. They know us well and love to come sniff when we get in the exercise pen with them. They mostly don't run when they are petted. One little girl got lose today and when I found her out in the garden, all I needed to do was sit down and she came right over and let herself be picked up. (I say "let" because a rabbit who doesn't want to be touched will bolt in an instant and your only hope is to corner them). I used to think that it came down to the babies having been with us since birth, but even the buck that we adopted as an adult is pretty friendly now. I think that not being too grabby and handling them gently goes a long way too.