Are they just spoiled

Tinamarie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So my 2 withers are 10weeks old. We tend to let them out of thier stall when we are outside. But today we are doing work around the outside and did not allow them to come out of the corral, fenced part of yard,and the one is crying nonstop. He is eating the hay,and minerals but wont graze in thier yard . Everything seems fine,could they just be spoiled and whining because we wont allow them "out"?

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, that's 1 way of looking at it.....tho, it could be just a strong urge to be in your presence and to reciptocate to you as to what he "feels" being owned by you and treated so well, as he feels that he is.....:).....it sure does make your heart feel good.....doesn't it?......sounds so much better than "spoiled"......;)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You are now their herd queen and momma... when they see you, they want to be with you and where you are. As they get older, they'll want to help you with whatever you're doing by carrying your tools and such for you, getting under your feet to help support you in whatever you're presently doing, getting in front of you while walking to make sure your path is clear and that you won't trip... You'll come to find them most helpful and great pets! :love:lol:

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Goats are browsers more than grazers. They are more apt to eat hay than pick grass. Once hay is on ground and trodden on they will not eat it. Just be careful about your yard landscaping as lots of common landscaping plants are toxic. Goats explore with mouth so careful about what they can get to... Friend had a wether eat a handful of nails while they repaired the barn! Apparently no harm, as goat lived another ten years to ripe old age 15. Said he slumped them down like eating spaghetti!

Tinamarie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So I need your opinions on a disagreement between my significant other and myself.
When we built the boys barn,we put up a "split door "(top and bottom can be opened separately)that opens to thier fenced in corral. As noted in my other post the boys are only 10 1/2 weeks old. He is saying I should leave the bottom part of the door open at night. Of course I disagree. Am I just being a worry wort or do I have a reason for my concern?

Tinamarie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Goats are browsers more than grazers. They are more apt to eat hay than pick grass. Once hay is on ground and trodden on they will not eat it. Just be careful about your yard landscaping as lots of common landscaping plants are toxic. Goats explore with mouth so careful about what they can get to... Friend had a wether eat a handful of nails while they repaired the barn! Apparently no harm, as goat lived another ten years to ripe old age 15. Said he slumped them down like eating spaghetti!
Wow nails?my goodness thank goodness he is ok.
My boys for some reason aren't minding when they pull they hay ti the floor. Which is confusing me!!! Lol Maybe thier "pickyness " will come as they age??? We are trying to teach them to not resist when we "tether"them in the yard!!!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
IME, the "won't eat of the ground" is a situational thing... Some goats won't eat off the ground, many will (some of mine do). Most goats (mine included) will eventually decide to poop and pee on the hay on the ground. It must be a smell thing because I've watched mine sniff around and position specifically to do this. Generally speaking, once they've "marked it" (the hay), they will no longer eat it. I HAVE watched mine eat freshly dropped hay on top of marked hay but they will not eat completely down to that level nor dig to eat from beneath it.

I mean really, goats graze as well as browse, so they DO eat "off the ground" all the time. Goats are like people... some are contrarians and all are unique in their own special ways. You just have to observe and go with the flow. They WILL learn though (many times, things you'd wish they didn't), and will adapt once they realize there's treats/good stuff involved. Some will just never like being tethered regardless. I have a couple that are "free thinkers" and "adventurers" so when I let the herd outside the fenced in area to graze/browse, Several I attach to each other by tether wire (25' plastic coated wire with spring loaded catches at both ends). This way if they decide to do something stupid or that I don't want, if they try to run, I can get hold of the wire or they'll wrap themselves around a tree or something, where I can "catch" them. They have learned that if they want to go through the gate to the OTHER side of the fence, they need to let me attach the tether. They stand there and wait for me to open the gate.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I need your opinions on a disagreement between my significant other and myself.
When we built the boys barn,we put up a "split door "(top and bottom can be opened separately)that opens to thier fenced in corral. As noted in my other post the boys are only 10 1/2 weeks old. He is saying I should leave the bottom part of the door open at night. Of course I disagree. Am I just being a worry wort or do I have a reason for my concern?
It really depends on the predators in your area and how safe the fencing is that they are in, but at only 10.5 wks I'd make sure they are secured at night. They can and will waste hay rather quickly unless it is contained in some way....ya may wish to add a hay feeder in their room....this will help to keep it from being wasted so readily.....:)