Are vegan food policies legal?

andrew113

Just born
Reaction score
Today my boss announced a new policy. No one is to bring non-vegan food products into the building. We are a nonprofit and I am 1 of only 2 paid employees. The other is already a vegan. Anyone who disagrees with the policy can quit or email them directly for a lecture on the cruelty of eating animal products.

I get that they have personal ethics, but is it not discrimination to make people feel ashamed of their nutritional choices? I disagree that all animal husbandry is inhumane and agriculture benign. Know your farmer. Know your facts. Crop growing, even organic produce grown locally with good soil practices can be highly lethal to wildlife, pollute water, be a source of methane gas, lead to land conversion and interruption of habitat, migration, feeding, and reproductive behaviors.

The thing it's not about my beliefs. I need to know the legality before I go telling volunteers they have to sit out in the freezing cold or run their cars to eat a snack. I'd rather ban all outside food than do this.

If it is not legal how do I tell my bosses this is a step too far?
Sarkari job

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't even know where to tell you to check to find out the legalities. First off, what kind of non-profit? Is it something that has to do with a vegan type lifestyle? Anti-animal consumption?
It is just as unethical to make people feel ashamed of their nutritional choices as it is to make them feel ashamed of their choice to not get a covid shot..... or to not wear animal furs for warmth.....or leather in their shoes......

Seems that there must be some reference to this in the human resources type of agreement that you have when you go to work for someone.... Personal ethics and imposing them on someone is a form of discrimination....

God Bless you.... I don't think that I am of much help..... but there must be some sort of fair hiring practices guide to follow and be able to reference....

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
. Anyone who disagrees with the policy can quit or email them directly for a lecture on the cruelty of eating animal products.

I get that they have personal ethics, but is it not discrimination to make people feel ashamed of their nutritional choices?
It seems everything is that way now. We all have to be accepting of some radical idea. But it's wrong for them to leave us alone and let us be what we have been for thousands of years.
If it is not legal how do I tell my bosses this is a step too far?
It'll be hard and should be well researched and thought out before hand. It's probably legal, yet yes it is to far. I'd drag up as soon as they mentioned it. (I used to be real good at dragging up)
Again hard to do because it's OK 👌 for them to say you can't eat a burger, but you can't say it's ok for you to eat that burger.
Found out this morning 👌 the o.k. symbol is white supremacy and racist. I don't remember that when watching the little rascals as a kid.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I worked in one facility that had a no tobacco law on their property. You could've/would've if caught get fired for having a cigarett or chew in the parking lot at lunch.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
The OK sign is racist? Ridiculous! People have lost their minds. I could expound further on that, but I’ll shut up.
I was debating on even posting it. There is SOOOOO much more I could say and know it better not to, to stay on. "When to send to slaughter" an example. I'd like a place I could talk. lol
Yes people have lost their ever living minds.