Are vegan food policies legal?

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Today my boss announced a new policy. No one is to bring non-vegan food products into the building. We are a nonprofit and I am 1 of only 2 paid employees. The other is already a vegan. Anyone who disagrees with the policy can quit or email them directly for a lecture on the cruelty of eating animal products.

I get that they have personal ethics, but is it not discrimination to make people feel ashamed of their nutritional choices? I disagree that all animal husbandry is inhumane and agriculture benign. Know your farmer. Know your facts. Crop growing, even organic produce grown locally with good soil practices can be highly lethal to wildlife, pollute water, be a source of methane gas, lead to land conversion and interruption of habitat, migration, feeding, and reproductive behaviors.

The thing it's not about my beliefs. I need to know the legality before I go telling volunteers they have to sit out in the freezing cold or run their cars to eat a snack. I'd rather ban all outside food than do this.

If it is not legal how do I tell my bosses this is a step too far?
Sarkari job
The short answer is ‘NO’. It is NOT LEGAL unless you signed a contract when you took the job stating explicitely that your employer could dictate the foods you eat. And even if you did it violates basic human resource practices and would not hold up in court. The questions are: How much do you love your job? And ‘Am I willing to go to court over this?’….sometimes even if you win…you lose. But in this case if you are penalized it will cost the employer in a compensation for loss of income law suit that could bankrupt their charity. This is an abuse of power. It violates OSHA law and it cannot stand. I am the kind of person that would simply bring a baloney sandwich the next day and eat it without comment. If they fired me I would already have contacted a lawyer (to make sure I was right) and the law suit would be on. I’m retired, a shepherd and just bored enough that I would take this one all the way to a jury. It would make me and my lawyer that much more well off. They are wrong. Unless you are under contract to be vegan at work this is a human rights and employer/employee boundary violation. You are not responsible for the comfort of any other employee. Good luck…though I doubt you’ll need much winning this flimsy order! ONE IMPORTANT THING: Keep EVERYTHING! Every email, every note, make hand written notes of every conversation related to this. Are they making you sign a company policy notice? Take it to your lawyer first. If they give you oral warning, write it out and date it. If you get a written warning, keep your original copy…do NOT let them take it back to hide what they have done. You are now building a case. An the only legal way they can do this is if it reflects badly on their charity…(i.e. The charity supports vegan lifestyle publicly as their stated purpose) for you, an employee to not eat vegan at work… sadly, in this case, company policy would stand and you could be legally fired. Our world is upside down.

Last edited:

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just came across this article today and was surprised that the high methane emissions are caused by CAFO (see https://www.iatp.org/blog/201904/latest-agriculture-emissions-data-show-rise-factory-farms
And the funny thing is that lately I've got into arguments with vegan environmentalists several times and noticed the aggression of such people. I don't know why this is so ( All my colleagues in employee tracking are also at a loss,
I have read these studies and I have done some follow up research. The highest producer of methane gasses on this planet are termites. lb for lb they out weigh and outsize all other methane producers combined. They are bigger producers than industry! And yet you hear no outcry over their existence because without them our world cannot function. The forest would build up waste and brush until the slightest spark would eradicate entire landscapes of forest. any entomologist will tell you that the majority species on this planet is not us and it is actively turning cellulose and all manner of waste that we produce into the purest methane.

Latest posts