Are vegan food policies legal?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know if it is legal either. If they banned bringing any food in, that would be another matter but to limit it to only vegetarian or vegan stuff not so sure. A vegan or vegetarian diet has to be carefully planned to avoid severe nutritional deficiencies. This is particularly true of the diet that bans eating eggs and dairy as well as meat and fish not sure what that is called - is that vegan?.

On the other hand, Biden is trying to pass legislation to limit people to 4 lbs. of beef a month. This is to control the methane caused by cows. We all laughed about AOC when she wanted to do this but now it is actually being stuck into some bill on something. I don't think this will pass, but it certainly shows the way government thinks they can control everything we do.

Limiting smoking is one thing particularly in enclosed areas - many people are allergic to cigarette smoke and second hand smoke is known to cause cancer. But banning a food because you want to effect a lifestyle change on everyone is really out there.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There were vast herds of bison in this country at one time- more than there are now cattle. Somehow the bison farts didn’t heat up the earth. This cow fart thing is incredibly stupid. Give up red meat? Not happening. Another ignorant piece of attempted control that will result in businesses closing and people’s jobs disappearing. No more fast food hamburgers! Call your representatives and scream at them, write them and complain loudly. This has already gone too far. It was funny to start with, not laughing anymore, I’m mad.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think it would pass. Too many states relying on beef production to allow passing. Too many people wanting to BBQ steaks and burgers for in the summer. Too many people now deciding to buy "on the hoof" - and most millennials and liberals. Just look at the wait to slaughter and cut!

DS3 in Nipomo said he s not surprised that my butcher has customers coming from San Luis Obispo (an hour north of DS3 which is 2 hours north of my butcher) He says that all butchers in his area have much longer wait times that 4 months for an appointment.

thethinkingweasel

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
There were vast herds of bison in this country at one time- more than there are now cattle. Somehow the bison farts didn’t heat up the earth. This cow fart thing is incredibly stupid. Give up red meat? Not happening. Another ignorant piece of attempted control that will result in businesses closing and people’s jobs disappearing. No more fast food hamburgers! Call your representatives and scream at them, write them and complain loudly. This has already gone too far. It was funny to start with, not laughing anymore, I’m mad.
I have read that high methane emissions are caused by CAFOs, not cows per se (see https://www.iatp.org/blog/201904/latest-agriculture-emissions-data-show-rise-factory-farms ... "...farming systems can result in dramatically different emission levels. The latest EPA data indicate that the increases in agriculture GHGs are linked primarily to the expansion of industrial systems of production for crops and animals"). When cattle (or any animal) are part of a healthy, mutually-sustaining system with both animals and plants involved, emissions are much lower. What I would love to see is these vegan environmentalist types going after the CAFOs. They are a true blight on our environment.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have read that high methane emissions are caused by CAFOs, not cows per se (see https://www.iatp.org/blog/201904/latest-agriculture-emissions-data-show-rise-factory-farms ... "...farming systems can result in dramatically different emission levels. The latest EPA data indicate that the increases in agriculture GHGs are linked primarily to the expansion of industrial systems of production for crops and animals"). When cattle (or any animal) are part of a healthy, mutually-sustaining system with both animals and plants involved, emissions are much lower. What I would love to see is these vegan environmentalist types going after the CAFOs. They are a true blight on our environment.
That is correct. On my little farm (8 acres) we have sheep, horses, chickens and feeder pigs. The pigs pen is roomy and big enough for them to have a potty place, lounging area, a 12’x12’ shelter, sunshine and shade. Dung beetles take care of most of their poop. The sheep have pasture and a barn. Dung beetles help bury their pellets. The poop returns to the soil. We dig out the barn periodically and spread in the garden or on the pastures. Chickens roam, scratching apart dung, keeping the litter in the sheep barn turned. The horses are likewise visited by dung beetles, a pile of manure is usually broken down in a day. We raise Cornish Cross chickens for meat. They are in pens that are moved daily to fresh grass.

CAFOs are animals packed in small spaces. Cattle are in outdoor feedlots with no grass in sight. Chickens number to 20,000 in each barn. When they are collected for transport to a slaughter facility, the chicken houses are cleaned out and fresh litter put down. The litter is composted and usually sold to be spread on fields. Hogs never see the outdoors. They are raised on slatted floors with manure lagoons underneath them. Their canine teeth are cut out and their tails are cut off to prevent them chewing on tails from boredom. I can only imagine the odors and breathing those fumes.

That said, I believe in the need for industrial meat. People can afford to buy it to feed their families. Protein and fats are needed in our diets, we were not created to eat leaves or grass. Ideally we eat the animals that eat the grass, but for mass production, animals are confined and food, in the form of grains, is brought to them.

It may not be real popular, but our food supply is among the safest in the entire world. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best thing going.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would like to see the government going after China and India - THE BIGGEST WORLD POLLUTERS - and acknowledge that the USA's emissions and pollution levels have gone down to one of the lowest in the industrial world. When you consider the size of our country, the amount of industry, we rank very low while China does nothing to lower its levels. They were wearing masks because of pollution years before Covid. In India the main source of cooking and heating outside the large cities (and inside some of the poorer areas) is burning dried cattle dung.

Why are we being made to reduce our living standards, our industry, and lose our jobs when those 2 countries are allowed to continue to pollute?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
In all seriousness after the lecture on animal cruelty are you free to eat your meat? Or are they saying they will fire you for it? (You could be eating your nuggets during the lecture-YUM).

I have had several lawyer friends and I believe they would say that if this is true, the opposite is true.

My religion says eating meat is okay. Therefore they can not fire me for my religious beliefs (eating a hotdog, for instance).

In other words,I do not believe that in the US they can fire you for eating meat at work just as you can not fire them for being vegan if it has to due with their religion. That is discrimination and you'd have grounds for a lawsuit.

Unless you signed something upon hire giving up your meat eating status.

Time to start documenting! (as my dad would put it) Times, dates, what happened, and who was there.

Sorry you have to put up with this garbage. It might be time for a new job.

Last edited:

Latest posts