Are we feeding enough?

bizzeeb60

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Since I am so very new at this, I would like to make sure we are feeding enough to our "herd" LOL.

Right now we are giving them twice per day:

3# of cracked corn
3# of Nutrena Nutrebeef 12/1.2 % and
3# of Producers Pride 20% cattle cubes.

So If they were eating it equally, thats roughly 3.5# per cow. I know Stanley and Ethel are the largest, Stanley was about 350 when we got him and I would say Ethel is heavier than him. The other three are about 200-250+ right now.

Not sure on exactly how to measure their weight. I know there is a tape to use but except for Ollie (the Angus/Holstein mix) None of them right now let us that close to them.

Another reason we are working on the Chute!

We blend it all together in the bucket and then just pour it into the feeder troughs.

Right now the pasture is good because we spent 3 years cutting, clearing and fertilizing it to ready it for the animals. When (if) we can ever get some significant rain again, it will be great. All of our neighbors comment consistently on how great our pasture is even with the drought. They wanted to put their animals in it because we didn't have any.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would recommend 5-6 pounds per head per day. But, if they are growing good and are conditioned good they maybe fine. Especially with all that you have put into your pasture readying it for them. Good pasture can makeup some of the grain and some strickly grass feed, if they have good pasture.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
im with kitty id feed them 6lbs ea a hd a day.or 1.5 to 2% of their bw.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Post some good pics and we can give you a good idea what flesh they are in. It's spring and maybe growing grass is good enough right now.

Has anyone used the protein blocks that allow selffeeding? I used them years back on pastured dairy and they worked well for us in keeping the weight on the girls.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
Has anyone used the protein blocks that allow selffeeding? I used them years back on pastured dairy and they worked well for us in keeping the weight on the girls.
Blocks or tubs? The blocks we had a huge problem with and it was found out that the cattle didn't lick them enough to get the benefit. Tubs are different and those work real well. We have a number out in the pasture right now.